What's new
What's new

K&T 2D spindle play?

Jager

Hot Rolled
I've been using my '59 K&T 2D rotary head mill a bit lately and I noticed a bit of rotational slack in the spindle (not sure if that is the correct term to use)

Any ways. There is no end play or side to side slack in the spindle bearings whatsoever, and everything is running great with no issues. My concern is that I can grab the spindle and very easily rotate it back and forth approx 20-30 degrees (no resistance at all). It has me wondering if there is a damaged key way up above that I need to inspect before it causes a real issue.

Anyone else notice the same thing on their 2D?

Thanks

Have you doubled checked the tension of the drive belts at the top of the mill?

Thanks.

Tension is good on the belts. When I rock the spindle back and forth by hand by grabbing the collet nut it is not turning the top pulley at all. There is zero resistance to rotating the spindle in between that 30 degree-ish area of backlash. That's what has me wondering about the possibility of a damaged key way or splines connecting the spindle to the pulley.

On a side note.. does any one have part numbers for replacement belts for this machine?

Thanks

I checked my 2D last night and have less than 1 degree of play between the spindle and pulley. It appears that the pulley key may be damaged, but not completely sheared off.

Thanks.

I checked my 2D last night and have less than 1 degree of play between the spindle and pulley. It appears that the pulley key may be damaged, but not completely sheared off.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I'm 3000 miles from home right now but will see what I can figure out when I get home and can get another look at what exactly is going on.

Back