What's new
What's new

K&T 2H maximum table weight rating.

Rigor

Banned
Title pretty much says it all. How much weight can a K&T Milwaukee 2H handle on the table?

I couldn't find anything in the manual. Reason I ask is I have a 450 lbs iron casting I need to face and wondered if it would be OK.

Thanks

Hard to believe but Hardinge says you can put 750 pounds on a new Bridgeport table. So I'd have to say you have to be pretty safe with 450 on a 2H assuming you don't have a ton of overhang.

I don't know the weight but I just had a complete bottom end (block, crank, and pistons) of an old Austin Healy 6 cylinder engine on mine to counter bore the deck for valve reliefs. I est 300 Lbs or so. It worked just fine.

Hard to believe but Hardinge says you can put 750 pounds on a new Bridgeport table. So I'd have to say you have to be pretty safe with 450 on a 2H assuming you don't have a ton of overhang.

obviously thats with spindle centered over knee as the table will and does bend with weight, actually even with no weight it still bends some

I couldn't find anything in the manual. Reason I ask is I have a 450 lbs iron casting I need to face and wondered if it would be OK.

Thanks

Just to err on the side of caution, I wouldn't put more than three or four of those castings on the table at one time!:cool:
Seriously though, It'll be just fine.

Just to err on the side of caution, I wouldn't put more than three or four of those castings on the table at one time!:cool:
Seriously though, It'll be just fine.

A full ton is probable, with accelerated wear or distortion more the caution than failure.

AFAIK, the only K&T models with serious table-mass limitations had "Walker Turner" badges on them and K&T BOUGHT the company. Had K&T designed them from scratch, Alzmetall mought have gone off and built sewing machines or such, never had the chance to make it with drill presses.

:)

Great everyone thanks for the input. The casting is 900mm long and 350mm wide. I will be facing parralel with the spindle using a face mill. It's the wide side I need facing so I will position the casting perpendicular to the table, and should be fine if properly balanced.

Again thanks for the help.

Great everyone thanks for the input. The casting is 900mm long and 350mm wide. I will be facing parralel with the spindle using a face mill. It's the wide side I need facing so I will position the casting perpendicular to the table, and should be fine if properly balanced.

No doubt you know that you do not have the travel to do the whole face

Don't forget face mill eats some of that just to get out of the cut

Horizontal has 28" side to side, 10" in and out and 17 1/4" up and down

You have not said hor. or vert. mill

I am hoping you meant 'perpendicular' w/r the 350 mm as vertical axis to the horizontal surface of the table, AND NOT the 900 mm long-axis perpendicular to the table's long-axis of travel when it should be parallel to that, hence perpendicular, not parallel to the spindle's axis.

Even so, check John's comment against travel and face-mill radius / diameter before you get an "Oh S**t" moment after a tedious handling, setup and clamping exercise.

Oooops. Perpendicular with respect to the width of the workpiece of course. Meaning, spindle/cutter is perpendicular with 350mm being faced.
This is when a picture would clear things up.
No can do at the moment. But yes you are right.
It will work out just fine.:nutter::skep:

No doubt you know that you do not have the travel to do the whole face

Don't forget face mill eats some of that just to get out of the cut

Horizontal has 28" side to side, 10" in and out and 17 1/4" up and down

You have not said hor. or vert. mill

Strange.....my X travel I measured at 30 inches. Or maybe 32. I will double check. But definitely more than 28. Or measuring tape is liar.:D

Yup. The auto stops on the table are currently set to 29 inches. They are adjustable to 32 inches. Weird. Even the manual says 28.

Yup. The auto stops on the table are currently set to 29 inches. They are adjustable to 32 inches. Weird. Even the manual says 28.

That would be about right - 32" - 28" = 4" - or a bit under 2" each end to clear, so a rather small cutter, perhaps a dovetail, a small saw, or even an end mill.

Now - I am not one to be relied on for converting Metrifukated units. I either work entirely in inch, or entirely in mm, so I seldom HAVE to do.

But if I recall from school, your 900 mm is 35.4 + inches.

"NEGATIVE" clearance won't clear any face-mill *I* have, and some of mine are for the tiny Burke B100-4. Nor does it look as if you can clear even a very small end-mill.

:)

However ... where there is will, skill, and persistence, the difficult is done immediately, the impossible just takes a little longer, and there are many ways to see it done.

Among the more obvious ones, "seems to me..." you'll want to be one or more of:

- Wizard at matching the plane from two separate sets of milling ops. (finish with fly-cutter? finish with one-insert-shimmed-proud insertable face mill?)

- Wizard at clamping the work on the diagonal.. AND have a near-perfect Z axis. NB: Not even sure this helps, what with width over 1/3 of length. Haven't looked at the math.

- Wizard at fabbing a jig, fixture, or sub-plate to add travel to enable maintaining alignment for the above.

- Wizard at finding a sub-contractor with a mill - or a planer - with greater table travel.

K&T made many such. So, too, their attempted-competitors. Yours just is not one of them.

More clever and experienced mill hands than I will have better ideas, I am sure.
Perhaps you are among those, so let us hear your plan while we wait and see who else picks it up with an idea or three.

Yes. Will have to wait. Casting will be here in 5 weeks. I will post pictures when it arrives. I think it will work however, if it doesn't I have larger mill available through a friend.

;).

Yes. Will have to wait. Casting will be here in 5 weeks. I will post pictures when it arrives. I think it will work however, if it doesn't I have larger mill available through a friend.

;).

OK.. last part sounds wisest. If nothing else, there are now fewer surprises on the menu!

Good fortune to yah!

Back