What's new
What's new

K&T 2H Plain head?

gi_984

Aluminum
Good morning,
I'm considering buying a K& T No2 H plain. I have zero experience with these. The seller says it is under power and has oil flow in all sight windows. Has been in steady use until a few weeks ago. No known issues. Has a pallet of arbors, assorted cutters, IMG_20170401_110436.jpgIMG_20170401_110458.jpgIMG_20170401_111349.jpgIMG_20170401_111359.jpgand a vise. The seller thinks it is a 50 but not sure. Does not have the long outside knee support, slotting head, or dividing head/tailstock.
Serial # 40-3314
Anyway to tell if it is a 40 or 50 taper from the pictures?
What is the going price for a slotting head and the long knee support?
What is a fair price for this?

Thanks!

Spindle flange OD is dead give away (not the arbor flange in your photo)

40 will be 3 5/8 - same as the over arms

50 will be much more in-your-face at 5 1/16

3314 is a lot of SIXTY completed November 1941 - right before Pearl Harbor

In my view the big pair of inserted cutters is BAD NEWS for an H - which was never intended for the resulting HAMMERING

If you can find them, the attachments usually go 2-3x's the price of the machines. They're usually missing some important part or 2 to make them work. As for the price....all over the place. I paid $1500 for my 2CHL because it's almost factory new.
I needed another horizontal mill like I needed a hole in my head. But, I picked a K&T 307-S12 in great condition with (8) #50 arbors for $400 about a month ago. There was someone in the sale forum that had some mills for sale pretty cheap. I'd start at $100 over scrap and not go much from there.

Thanks for the replies. The size is perfect for my small shop (capacity and footprint). I'd really like to have one with the two heads(slotting & vertical). Just have to decide if it is better to find the heads individually or get a different mill with the hard to find accessories. This particular mill seems to be in good shape so it is tempting.
I'm willing to drive within 200 or so miles from Wisconsin for a K&T in the 2H size with the heads. Any leads would be appreciated.

You have got to love equipment purchasing back east, out here in wonderful California any kind of a K&T sitting a foot deep outside in the mud slid off the forks of a lift will still bring a grand.
Hobby shop in post 3 above is correct all K&T attachments are generally very expensive and you are just plain lucky if they are complete when you find them.
The plus is you are in some of the best part of the country to find them.
That said K&T machines seem to run forever with proper maintenance and care.

I have a 2h plain horizontal and a 2hl universal horizontal... I bought both machines basically without any attachments and over the years I managed to acquire some vertical heads and slotting attachment..Seems most of the time something is missing such as drive gear for vertical head and drive unit for slotting attachment... Some trunk monkey usually throws the drive out as they don't know what they are for... I wound up having to make two drive gears...

So beware.... If you find an attachment without the drive for it, you pretty much have a nice looking boat anchor... Ramsay 1:)

Ramsay 1, thanks for the advice. Will keep looking on craigslist, etc. If anybody has a lead on a good smaller K&T with a head let me know. Thanks!

I just looked at this machine in person. Posted on it, but it appears I did so in the wrong section. Z-axis up did not feed. The fast travel gears were loud. There was a out a half a turn of play in the y-axis.

I know little to nothing about machining. Ive used vertical mills out of necessity, but don't know much about terminology or operation. Figured I'd buy a good old mill and go to town.

I'm going back on Saturday with a friend of mine to look at some other stuff the seller had (Van Norman verts, and another horizontal.) I'm pretty sure this thing is going to scrap if no one takes it. The scrap hacks were lined up last night to take all sorts of stuff.

Update: The pallet of tooling is a wooden box with the arbors and a few cutting tools. So definitely not a treasure trove. The seller admitted the power feed on the knee does not work and no oil in the sight glass (knee). Unfortunately the seller still wants over $1k. :nutter:

It is a shame to see them go to scrap, but when equipment has been used up, and / or, the owner doesn't understand what a fair price is then that usually is the result.

If people are getting what they are asking for K&T stuff on E-Bay, a guy could part that thing out and still make some money on it if he wanted to fool around with it. If $700ish bucks could buy it, then it might be worth looking into repairs with parting it out as the bail out if repairs are excessive. I wonder what the table looks like under that plate. ? Probably not something I would peruse, but maybe you are willing.

I have a couple of 2Hs. Really like them and wish I could gather up all the orphan ones so at the very least the good parts could be made available to guys trying to keep others in service. Sadly, it is just not practical for me to do it.

Just so you are aware, Bridgeport heads can be fitted to those machines without much trouble. If you find a nice machine at a good price without a vertical head, you can keep that option in the back of your mind.

Back