What's new
What's new

Machinist vise for Van Norman no 6

alan speyrer

Stainless
Wanting to buy a better vise, tired of my cheap milling vise. Can anyone recommend a good vise for my mill? Thinking of buying a Kurt vise, but I think they might be to large for my table.

I put a 6" Shars copy of a Kurt on my mini mill / lathe. Didn't give up enough head room to suffer. It's the Grizzly G0773 if you want to compare size.
20170528_194012631.jpg

The V-N 6 table at 6-7/8" is narrower than a typical Bridgeport 9" table, so a 5" Kurt or clone might be better. I have 4" clones on Aciera mills that have 9.8" tables, but with smaller T-slots, and they are fine for most of my work. It all depends on what you want to hold and how tightly.

I have a 5" Kurt on my VN 12 and like it. I think I would be happy with a 4". I have the luxury of 3 manual mills and 2 VMCs at work (1.4 miles from home). Sometimes I wonder if I should own a mill!
Rick

Winn Speed Lock Vise

Here's the thing about Kurt vises, there not cheap but there the best, seem to last forever.

If you are looking for a well made vise that is made in the USA. Please consider the Winn Speed Lock Vise that is integrated with its patented quick change jaw system.

Back