Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default K&T 2K bearing heat problems

I am looking to buy a K&T 2K that's in fantastic shape, but I am worried about it having some spindle problems. The spindle bearings head up very quickly after only a couple minutes of running, probably up to around 100 degrees F. The spindle is also very tight that I cannot rotate it by hand without a crescent wrench on one of the drive dogs, but that may just be normal with these machines. I am just concerned that this heat buildup might be a problem if I were to buy the machine. Do you think that if I take the head apart and clean all the bearings out really well and oil them again, will it fix the problem? Im sure the oil that's in the head is far overdue for a change, and I can even see in the sightglass that its pretty sludgy (see picture 3 for the sliding head sightglass). The machine is in awesome shape, so any advice?

First picture is of the column face, second is under the table, third is the sliding head ways
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3773.jpg   img_3772.jpg   img_3770.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ill see what i can do, and thanks for the links. Do you think I have anything to worry about? My problem is that I do not own it yet and it's also 3 hours away, so I cannot really do much to the machine aside from asking the owner to do it for me. I went to see the machine for myself yesterday and thats when I realized the issue

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Ill see what i can do, and thanks for the links. Do you think I have anything to worry about? My problem is that I do not own it yet and it's also 3 hours away, so I cannot really do much to the machine aside from asking the owner to do it for me. I went to see the machine for myself yesterday and thats when I realized the issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That looks like the ways are in great shape for its age. Make sure you put the machine in neutral to turn the spindle easily. Best you can really do is flush the gearbox and put in fresh stuff, I like using kerosene to flush. If the spindle bearings are bad, they will probably be more than the cost of the whole machine. The machine pumps oil over the spindle bearings so removing them and cleaning won't do much.

I have a beat up 2k from 1942 and the spindle still runs great

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bearings could be improperly adjusted.

7. Likes ramsay1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are we talking about a vertical head attachment getting warm/hard to turn or the horizontal spindle drive?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dana gear View Post
    Are we talking about a vertical head attachment getting warm/hard to turn or the horizontal spindle drive?
    Sliding head vertical mill

Similar to this one

Milwaukee Vertical Mill - business/commercial - by owner - sale

Post Thanks / Like

More info - illustrates oiling system

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...px%3Fid%3D4133

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

johnoder is spot on , I have seen some owner, operator and maintenance people add what ever lube laying around to machines before and it seems more prevalent in older machines, heavy gear oil where lite turbine oil was required sure. Hell we dug bearing grease out of a gear box that called out for non detergent SAE 10
    The other side may be there's no oil in there at all or not getting to where it needs to be.
    These spindles don't free wheel super easy, but the heat buildup with no load after a few minutes is not good.