What's new
What's new

K&T 2K Oil Filter Replacement or Parts

nt1953

Hot Rolled
The oil filter on my 1946 2K is damaged and needs some filter media (thin metal plates). Is there a parts source? Has anyone come up with a spin on oil filter adapter for these?

The oil filter on my 1946 2K is damaged and needs some filter media (thin metal plates). Is there a parts source? Has anyone come up with a spin on oil filter adapter for these?

Like the clutch discs elsewhere, a drawing and some sort-of-correct thickness stock could result in a pile of these from the water jet outfit near you

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/15-series-n-clutch-338011/

CUNO made these filters - they proliferate on machine tools and radial aircraft engines

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the filter. The individual layers are on the order of .002-.005in. thick. The gap between layers is probably about .0002. Any burs on an individual layers will tear that layer or an adjacent layer. I do not think it is practical for me to try to make replacement layers. It is much beyond my capability.

Filter 1.jpg

Filter 2.jpg

Filter 3.jpg

Wonder why the filter was omitted on all the smaller mills? To the best of my knowledge, my 4100 Lb 2CH from 1956 sports no oil filter

That is a nice, clean looking retrofit. I have the exact same 2K mill, made in 1946 also.

Thanks for posting. Do you have any more pictures of the adapter for the filter holder? I would like to see the part that sticks into the mill, if you have them.

That is slick, I have never thought about making an adapter. I did always think the oil filter that's on the machine was kinda weird.

hawkfan9
The entire thickness of the adapter is 2.5". 1" is inside.

In the original part, oil is pumped thru a vertical passage, across the housing/mill interface and into the mill's oil passages. There is no gasket, and the design depends on a fairly close fit to prevent too much loss of filtered oil (pressure in the gallery actually bleeds unfiltered oil into the vertical passage). My idea was to make the radial tolerance a little tighter, and to make the distance from the edge of the oil passage to the open oil gallary larger so as to simulate a better gasket.

If you did not want to have a filter/gallery drain, then the total thickness could be reduced. I opted to have a drain so that the filter change out would be less messy.

It is interesting that the original filter does not remove any particulate, it just captures it and then drops it back into the pressure gallery when you turn the handle. Having a spin on filter allows you to remove particulate and throw it away.

I can post a picture of the housing without the filter on it, and make some drawings that are more presentable than what I used to make it if you want them. I should note that the bolt pattern on the housing is not square. It is trapezoidal so that it is impossible to install the housing upside down. Good idea, but hard to reverse engineer.

Back