What's new
What's new

K&T 2K spindle bearing heat question

almightyhose

Plastic
I am looking to buy a 1942 2K, but I am concerned of the heat being generated by the spindle. After only a couple minutes of running, the head is quite hot, almost to the point of me not being able to keep my hand on it. It feels similar to the outside of a glass jar with a candle in it, probably around 115 degrees F. My other concern is that the spindle is not able to be turned by hand without a crescent wrench on one of the drive dogs. It concerns me that it also takes a good 3-4 seconds to spin up. I think it might be the cause of the spindle heating up so much. Do you think that taking the head apart and cleaning everything really well would fix this problem? Otherwise, the machine is in awesome shape for how old it is. Just about all scraping is still visible and barely worn. I really want this machine, and am willing to put a little work into it. I am just worried about the bearings being a problem. There isnt any weird noises or anything from the spindle and it has no measurable runout, so I am hoping all is good. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_3770.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 35

Back