What's new
What's new

K & T 315 S15 verticle DRO

propman

Aluminum
Has anyone installed a DRO on a 315 S15, I want to put a 3 axis on mine that I finally got running and a little perplexed on the Z axis so any pointers would be great. Also anyone needing coolant pumps or parts for these, they are available new in individual pieces, pump motor, sleeve and mounting bracket or all together which is what I needed for less than $600.00. the individual pieces were in the $200.00 range. I need to get a few parts for the manual X axis handle but mine is bent on the very end which is probably why the handle was off when I bought it.

Thanks
Scott

OK so I guess nobody has installed a DRO on one of these mills, so how about the coolant system. My machine had a busted off coolant pump which I replaced but the plumbing ends with a threaded fitting close to the ways of the knee. Is there supposed to be a filter or pressure valve between there and whatever nozzle used? I'm sure the pressure out of the pump is going to be pretty strong and may need some ball valve or something to restrict the flow, does anyone have a pick of a working system?

Thanks
Scott

OK, got the DRO installed and the coolant all together and now I'm having an issue with a tool holder. I have a new cat 50 tool holder but I can't get it all the way in the spindle bore with both spindle drive keys in, I have to take one of the keys out to get the tool holder to seat in the bore and I am getting a couple thousands runout and wonder if that is caused by only having one key in or if I just need to clean the bore up more. Anyone have this issue? I'm also looking for some parts for the manual X axis table feed, the place i got my manuals from is closed due to a death. Anyone have a source?

Thank you!

Do you have the tool holder oriented properly? On a Cat50 the drive notch with the dimple is not as deep as the other drive notch. Compare the distance of the step from the floor of the notch to the taper and you will see what I am describing. The dimple must be oriented to the missing key. The safe, easy method is to shorten both drive keys slightly so either one will clear the shallow slot.

Do you have the tool holder oriented properly? On a Cat50 the drive notch with the dimple is not as deep as the other drive notch. Compare the distance of the step from the floor of the notch to the taper and you will see what I am describing. The dimple must be oriented to the missing key. The safe, easy method is to shorten both drive keys slightly so either one will clear the shallow slot.

Yes, I tried with the holder with the dimple on both sides and it will not fit with the dimple facing either direction. I guess it will not hurt anything if the key stops are shortened?

Ok key issue solved now to the manual feed on the table. When I got the machine (military surplus) the electrical box was knocked off the machine and most of the wires were broken and of course all red, apparently I got all the wires connected properly as everything seems to work. The manual hand wheel assembly was also off and the bolts holding the bearing etc. to the table were also missing so someone had that apart and I'm sure the reason is that the very end of the table screw is bent. Is there anyway to straighten that without taking everything apart, I could just mate a castle nut to the one on the shaft and use a socket for fine adjustments but it would be nice to have the handle, and I think there may be a couple parts missing as the castle nut on the hand wheel does not come out far enough to engage with the one on the table screw.

My machine serial # is 54-72010 and I'm trying to figure out how much oil should be pumping into the verticle head, I noticed today that thru the sight glass on initial start up I get a little flow on LH rotation but when I switch to RH the flow stops so I took the front cover off and I'm getting major volume thru the input line but very little flow out of the various tubes. I took the manifold off and see that there are one way valves into each individual tube off the manifold. I don't find any dirt or obvious obstructions but can't tell if the valves are blocked as they are so small. There is oil getting onto the gears but I would think there should be a bit more flow. Any help.

Thanks
Scott

Back