What's new
What's new

K&T 3ch vertical new machine

B Koons

Plastic
Hi, I am looking into buying another mill for my shop. I went to look at it today and the power feeds worked at first and then stoppped. The rapids still work in all directions. I'm not sure if it's a hydraulic problem or what. Also we could not get the power feed to work on the head. The owner said they don't use it much but he's sure it all worked fine about 6 months ago. He also said he has never added oil to anything ever, so I'm thinking that might be the problem. We didn't have any oil there to add either. The sight glass looked good for the main lube for lower column. The quill was down by the low mark. Any info will be appreciated. Also if anyone can give me the basic specs from the serial number would be great! S/N 13-6819 Thanks, Brian

Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea what this machine might be worth? I would say it's pretty worn out as far as table slop etc..

Thanks for the info. Do you have an idea what this machine might be worth? I would say it's pretty worn out as far as table slop etc..

4 1/2 tons at scrap price is about what it might bring if hauled to scrap yard

If anything important is broke it will cost a fair sized fortune to acquire parts

They are in no way easy to take apart and work on if that is required

Johnoder is right, if you are considering laying out much money for this machine you should see that it works in all functions before the cash passes hands. There great machines but can cost a fortune to repair and as john said there not the easiest thing to work on, as they were a mechanical marvel in there design and manufacture.

One of the pesky little gotchas on this series is the sensor(?) on the input pulley. If it ever got run backwards by Joe Dolt trying to hook it up to power - its ruined. You have to have the several belts off while you are figuring out if the motor is going the right way

Ok. If that sensor was bad what would the symptoms be? I will tell you now that I'm leaning towards not buying it. The next day I found a Van Norman 2rq 3hp in very very good condition and I bought it. I already have it back at my shop and have it running. I haven't made any chips yet but I am excited about having the tilting head and the quill. The only thing I don't like about it is the 30 taper spindle. I was looking for a machine do heavier vertical milling, but I couldn't pass this up. Any thoughts on this machine? If I have any other questions about this machine should I start a new thread? Thanks, Brian

Back