What's new
What's new

K&T 4H Feed Selector Stuck

Michael Edwards

Cast Iron
I have a 4H Universal Horizontal that I can no longer change the feed rate for some reason. This is a case of "it worked when I put it away"

I can still use the feed it is stuck on in all directions, and rapid works fine.

I pull out the locking pin and can move the handle in about a 45 degree arc but no more.

I have the spindle running while trying to change the feed rate as per the manual.

I did a forum search, and a google advanced search of this site but came up empty.

Anyone else ever have this problem or ideas?

Edit to add: here is a pic of the mill in post #14

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...zontal-milling-how-set-up-223063/#post1549140

ME

It's been 40 years since I have been inside one of those. I seem to recall shifting forks in there that are held in place by a notched taper pin that shears off. I did find this manual that isn't a lot of help but on page 3 it talks about a hydraulic pump. How about checking the oil level, filter and hydraulic pressure and see if that helps.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/15189.pdf

Parts Manual http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6562.pdf

I'll keep looking or until someone else comes up with a solution. Rich

Thanks for the reply Rich. I downloaded those exact two manuals along with a few others from Vintage machinery this morning.

Mine is old enough to not have hydraulics, but you did give me an idea or two.

I am good about checking the column oil level sight glass and the column flow glass but not the one on the knee. It was also 44F in my garage, so it is possible that this is lube related. I will turn on some heat tonight and check into it in the morning.

ME

I have a 2k plain that does this on certain feeds. Sometimes I have to bump the spindle clutch a few times to get the gears to mesh.

I have a 2k plain that does this on certain feeds. Sometimes I have to bump the spindle clutch a few times to get the gears to mesh.

In the manual for my mill it says " when selecting feeds, the spindle should be operating "

I also tried shifting feed speed while the spindle was running and the table was feeding.

I does act like a gear sync problem like you suggest, just for giggles, I will try randomly bumping the table feed.

On my Lodge&Shipley sometimes when I am changing feeds with the spindle off, I engage the carriage feed and bump the hand wheel and it slip in gear more easily.

ME

Update:

So this morning I go out there and fired it up and I see that the oil level is fine in the knee and there is also flow.

Next, with the spindle running, I start working the feed lever back and forth trying to stay on the safe side of ham fisted glook amount of torque.

After about a minute of this,I quit moving the feed selector lever and engaged the table feed for a few seconds. Then I disengaged the table feed and went back to working the feed selector lever.

After about 10 minutes of gradually getting more rotation, I was able to go all the way around through all the speeds. It seems to work well now.

Unfortunately, the the feed selector dial does not move at all. Not a huge deal to keep track of the feed speed though. It was easy enough to find where it went from 30 inches per minute to 1/2 ipm and keep track from there.

ME

Back