What's new
What's new

K&T Dividing head

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
I have a Model 2CH horizontal mill, and the chance to acquire a model K dividing head. 50 NMTB taper spindle 5:1 ratio... etc. Not the more typical Model H head

Seller tells me the model K head is huge, but the seller isn't what I would call a machinery expret, more of a junk dealer.

What can ask the seller to measure that would indicate if this head is suitable for my machine?

Cyclotronguy

What can ask the seller to measure that would indicate if this head is suitable for my machine?
Model K (hypoid) heads came in 10, 12 and 14" swings. The 2CH needs a 10" swing, but as far as I know it was made for the Model H head. The #2 K mill, for which the 10" K head was made, weighed a little less than twice as much as a #2H / 2CH

The bare Model K 10" head weighs 130 lbs, the 12" 175 and the 14" 245.

John

I thought the H dividing head came in 8" and 10" sizes.

You are right Mike, at least looking in the late thirties catalog.

In the same catalog the 3H and 4H Universal mills are shown with Model K heads, at least they appear so with big plates and no gear cover on top.

I suppose later there were a few larger Model H (redesigned) heads made, but this is the only one I have ever seen.

John Oder

Dividing Head

You are right Mike, at least looking in the late thirties catalog.

In the same catalog the 3H and 4H Universal mills are shown with Model K heads, at least they appear so with big plates and no gear cover on top.

I suppose later there were a few larger Model H (redesigned) heads made, but this is the only one I have ever seen.

John Oder

My book shows the model K heads starting with the #3 mills.. I wish I could make a 10" model K work with my 2h plain..
I love the 5:1 hypoid setup as I had a 14" model K sometime back but it was just too big for anything I have..
I have a model H ten inch dividing head that I usually use on my 2hl universal in conjunction with a low lead attachment..Just wish I could go to 5:1 indexing.. Mike

Hello: Looks like a Model H dividing head.. Mod K has hypoid gears and is 5:1 whereas the Mod H is 40:1.. Give me the serial number and I can tell you exactly what you have and when it was made.. Why is the head disassembled? Just curious.. Mike

Ramsy;

I took it apart to check to see if all was OK and to give it a good
cleaning. Also on the Model H the worm is on top of the worm wheel.
On my head the worm is under the worm wheel. The photos show this.

The number is 3 over 7366

One of the photos shows this # on the top of the head.

Thanks for your help.

Michael S. Fox

Hi: 3 over 7366 in my book is 1ch-2chl std hi spd ajd univ drive brkts nov 54..

Dividing Head

Ramsay;

So sorry, the number is 3 over 7622 for my head.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab109/Shopman1960/My Machine Shop/IMG_1109.jpg

Thanks again

Michael S. Fox

Hi: Sorry I was confused.. This is the head John already gave and id on..
12" Model H dividing head December 1955.. Looks like they made 15 of them in this lot.. Quite unique though.. I wonder if we will ever see another one?
I have had the Model H with the gear cover on top and also the Model K but never had one like that yet.. Mike

Johnoder / Ramsay1;

Well done and thank you both for your help. I will be sure to stamp this
info where the name plate use to be so whoever may get it in the future
won't have to wonder. Though I must tell you both it has been a pleasure
dealing with you.

Thank you

Michael S. Fox

Back