What's new
What's new

K&T Horizontal Mill. Newbie

Sendero700

Plastic
Howdy guys. I'm new to this forum as well as to machining. I took my first machine shop class in Susanville Ca. this past summer, running a lathe and vertical mill. While there one of my friends found a used K&T HORIZONTAL MILL

We cleaned it up and got it running in his shop and now I have it at home. Waiting for my electrician to do some wiring for me. Meanwhile I clean it up scrub and manually run the table, up down front back and side to side. I've included a couple photos please note some of the directional plates are in German.....

If my research is correct it was made March 1947

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Also already started looking for a vertical head along with the parking attachment.

thanks folks.

Attachments

• WIN_20180117_11_27_52_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180117_11_27_52_Pro.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 519
  • WIN_20180117_11_28_20_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180117_11_28_20_Pro.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 366
  • WIN_20180117_11_28_02_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180117_11_28_02_Pro.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 376
  • WIN_20180117_11_27_44_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180117_11_27_44_Pro.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 442
  • WIN_20180117_11_29_00_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180117_11_29_00_Pro.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 361
Universal table, nice.

Have the same machine, haven't used it in years. It currently serves as a bench ;).

If you can find or already have the arbor support with the bearings (as opposed to the bushed one), that is a nice addition.

I used to use mine for all sorts of stuff (before I went cnc), shimming and stacking cutters to mill profiles in parts etc.

They sure are solid heavy machines, have fun with it!

*edit*

Mines a model K

26804798_10213261274838902_5408168997458132737_n.jpg

700:

You didn't git the rotary axis with it?

Any time I have seen those Uni tables, they had rotary's and were used for producing drill flutes.

------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The grey and yellow looks good! Nice job on the paint. I know what Snel means from watching Hogans Heros as a kid, so it was an educational program!! Welcome to PM as well.

Sorry to diasspoint: the language on that milling machine is NOT GERMAN. It is a language which is Germanic in origin, and is most likely Dutch.

"Snell" is NOT German for "fast. It is "Schnell" in German. Similarly, "Langzam" is not the German for "slow". It is spelled "Langsam" in German. My guess is the mill was built for shipment to Holland. It may well have been built sometime after WWII, and for whatever reason, never was shipped over to Holland. Or, it was "repatriated". I know some US used machine tool dealers were buying US made machine tools in Europe and bringing them back to the USA due to a shortage of good US machine tools a few years back.

How a milling machine destined for use in Holland wound up on the west coast is another interesting conundrum. As someone who speaks a workingman's German, I can attest to the the nomenclature on that mill NOT being "ins Deutsch".

I have a 2hl universal made in 1943 with low lead box, vertical heads, slotting attachment, rotary tables, etc.. Great machine! If you find a vertical head, be sure the drive gear is included in the sale or you will have a very good boat anchor instead of a vertical head.. Ramsay 1:)

If you give up looking for a vertical head, as I did, you might consider mounting another brand vertical head. Apparently there were adapters made to fit other vertical heads on the K&Ts but the only ones I found were at prices far above what I had paid for the mill. I made a mount for a Bridgeport 2J clone head that mounts on the column of the 2HL. Here is the post on that http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...y-iron/mounting-bp-clone-head-k-t-2hl-324258/. I also poeted a couple of videos of the process here K&T Mill Vertical Head Mount 1 - YouTube.

The combination has worked well for me and I like the versatility of the horizontal spindle and also having the vertical head with a quill.

Good luck, Craig

If you give up looking for a vertical head, as I did, you might consider mounting another brand vertical head. Apparently there were adapters made to fit other vertical heads on the K&Ts but the only ones I found were at prices far above what I had paid for the mill. I made a mount for a Bridgeport 2J clone head that mounts on the column of the 2HL. Here is the post on that http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...y-iron/mounting-bp-clone-head-k-t-2hl-324258/. I also poeted a couple of videos of the process here K&T Mill Vertical Head Mount 1 - YouTube.

The combination has worked well for me and I like the versatility of the horizontal spindle and also having the vertical head with a quill.

Good luck, Craig

Thanks for this.
I'm looking to put one on my 2K
flagg3d

Back