What's new
What's new

K&T Model K dividing head disassembly

Plasmadog

Plastic
Hi everyone.
I recently acquired a 12" model K dividing head that is need of a good clean up. I'm having bit of difficulty disassembling it though, as I have not been able to find a parts manual to see how it goes together. I'm sure someone out there must have taken one of these things apart though, so I'm hoping someone can give some advice.

I have tried removing the casting that houses the worm gear. When it pulls away from the base, the main shaft (the 5:1 drive) stays behind. I can only move it maybe a quarter inch though, presumably because the worm screw is captured within the concave part of the worm wheel, which is on the stationary shaft. It seems like if I could first remove the spiral milling drive shaft (the 40:1 one) that has the worm screw on it, then the whole casting would come away. But I can't see how that shaft can be removed; there is no obvious retention mechanism that I can see and I cannot believe it is just a press fit. I have removed the cap over the end of the shaft (the one that has the oil level plug in it) and I see no nut or anything. Just a bearing.

At the other end, the cylindrical part from which the shaft emerges looks like it is not part of the casting, and it would make sense to me that it is what is retaining the shaft. But then the question becomes, what is retaining that part? I see no evidence that it screws into the casting, and there are no flats for a wrench anyway, but I see no other means to remove it.

If anyone out there has done this before, I would really appreciate any insight you can give me.

Good luck with that one.. I took the side off of one once but that is as far as I went.. Why would you take it apart if it is working correctly? As mentioned previously, K&T did not intend for anyone outside of the factory to work on their dividing heads.. Cheers: Ramsay 1:)

Thanks guys.
I have been all over the Vintage Machinery publications. I also have a 2HL that I'm reconditioning and that site has been a great resource so far. That said, I had never seen a dividing head in any of the parts manuals I had looked at, so thanks for that tip.

I am really only aiming to take it apart far enough to give it a really good clean and a fresh coat of paint. As far as "working correctly" is concerned, well, the handle turns the spindle alright, but the rotation from horizontal to vertical is extremely difficult, even with the clamps completely removed. So I'd like to at least get it out of that base "cradle" so I can clean up those bearing surfaces. The thing has been sitting unused for a long time though, so I may have to go further in order to clean out any old oil that has solidified.

Ramsay1, you say you had the side off, which is all I'm trying to do right now. Do you recall how you did it?

Plasmadog: Yes I had the worm gear side off of a 14" model k dividing head once and don't recall it giving me any real problems....As for the tightness in the cradle, that is normal even with the straps loosened..I have both model h and model k dividing heads and both of them are stiff to move even with the clamps loosened...I have only seen one breakdown of a model H dividing head in any K&T literature and only covered removing the unit from the cradle.. K&T states to send the unit back to the factory for repairs...If the unit works correctly, I would paint then top off the oilers with the correct oil and use the unit.. Ramsay 1:)

I have mine apart right now. Don't remember exactly how it came off but i do know that the worm is held on the shaft by a taper pin. The case does come off with the worm and shaft in. Mine needed to come apart because the shop I got it from thought it was a good idea to clean their machines with a pressure washer. Got it as a add in with a K&T CH2 Ram Head. If I didn't take it they were going to scrap it.

Maybe this "pandora's box" is like the quill feed section of the 2d tool and die mill... An old K&T mechanic told me to never take the feed section apart.. I said I already did.. He said you will never get it back together again.. I said I already did...
I would imagine the problem with the dividing head is parts.. Precision bearings probably impossible to find and if you did find them you would have to take out a second mortgage on your home to buy each of them...Ramsay 1:)

Back