What's new
What's new

Reviving rescued/adopted K&T Model 2D rotary head milling machine

4x4Fun

Plastic
Gobble gobble Happy Thanksgiving! Newbie here. Got this ol girl into the shop last night after some puckering moments and now the real fun starts.. I know very little about machines/machining so looking for any and all advice. The spindle motor was already out, po said it was burned out.. bearings seem excellent so I think a trip to the lectric motor shop will remedy the situation there. Gotta get a RPC or VFD set up asap and find a cozy spot for her in the shop. I'll try posting pictures. I think there's stuff missing, don't know what collet it uses or even how to identify the different types.. Anyhoo, gonna snap some photos and go eat some turkey!

A bunch of K & T Model 2D Rotary Head Milling Machine information is posted on the Vintage Machinery website. Suggest posting your S/N and photo(s) in the Machine Registry. Collets, No. 20 and No. 30, are very difficult to find because they are not made any longer. You might find attachments and other related tooling periodically on eBay, but it either goes fast or is stupidly high priced. I have a Model 2D and love it. Use it almost everyday. Very versatile and fun to run. Good luck to you.

Gobble gobble Happy Thanksgiving! Newbie here. Got this ol girl into the shop last night after some puckering moments and now the real fun starts.. I know very little about machines/machining so looking for any and all advice. The spindle motor was already out, po said it was burned out.. bearings seem excellent so I think a trip to the lectric motor shop will remedy the situation there. Gotta get a RPC or VFD set up asap and find a cozy spot for her in the shop. I'll try posting pictures. I think there's stuff missing, don't know what collet it uses or even how to identify the different types.. Anyhoo, gonna snap some photos and go eat some turkey!
On the spindle collets, maybe you are lucky and someone opened up your spindle to take R8 collets from the original B3 as mine had... Good solid machine will run circles around a Bridgeport in most things except drilling and tapping holes....I have run a 1/2" endmill in mine in steel at probably 1/4" deep without a problem.. Please though use OIL in the coolant sump and you and the 2D will get along fine... Ramsay 1:)

Back