What's new
What's new

K&T Project: Hand wheel Clutch

USNmechanic

Aluminum
One of the pieces that was missing when I bought my K&T #3 mill was the vertical head hand wheel clutch. From what I can tell it's the same as the x-axis hand wheel clutch, so I measured that up and will hopefully have time at work to make one this week. I'm not in the skilled trades, but luckily the maintenance guys at work let me use the shop equipment and even take the time to teach me stuff. I don't have a lathe yet, so I think this small project will be good practice for me. I'm attaching a picture of the drawing in case anyone else may ever find it useful. I tried to upload the pdf, but the file size was too big. Most of the dimensions don't seem too critical, so I just rounded everything to the nearest 1/64" because I assumed that most parts like this would be designed to conventional fractional dimensions. I've been wrong before though :D

IMG_2319.jpg
The clutch that I'm duplicating.

I had to make the same part for my 3K horizontal. I don't have the parts drawing handy but I also had to make the cover hub for the clutch part. It went pretty easy you should have no problem . I can take the measurements if that would be any help ? I guess I am an idiot I just realized you have the part sitting on the drawing so I guess my measurements wouldnt help you much. Anyway good luck. Happy New Year. mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike! What type of steel did you use when you made your clutch? Also, it looks like the surface that contacts the cover hub is lapped. Did you take any extra steps to finish that surface differently than the rest of the part? Keith

If I remeber correctly I made it out of 1140 , I know what you mean about the surface being lapped/ground , but I just used a piece of 320 grit if I think , its been a while ,on the end of a file while cleaning it up on the lathe, works great. I can take pictures of it and the hub I made . BTW if I may ask what is "USNmechanic", I retired from navy back in 2012 as a HTC. Mike

Thanks for serving! I was in from '05-'11. MM1 on a sub out of Groton when I got out. I'm happy that I went to school on the GI bill, but I miss those days and have wondered more than once if I made the right choice getting out. Where were you stationed?

I was stationed in Groton in the ship fitter shop then transferred to the USS Stark but that was when I first came in which was 84. Got out after 4 years for 1 year then went back in and wound up on another frigate for 4 years then got out again for 7 years then went back in and with all the paper work getting in and out I stayed until I retired . Wound up doing 6 ship total, all small boys until I went to Great Lakes as welding instructor in HTA school for my twighlight tour. Probably just should have stayed in the first time around , but like you said I miss it too. Got to do a stint in Balston Spa NY , which I am sure you know about , as a nuc welder there. Up there they were going to be taking the welding from us to give to the civilians , I said the hell with that and filled out a 1306 and got sent to Japan for my last 2 ships , and well here I am. Take care brother talk at you later. Mike

Hey, sorry for the long delay in replying. I was stationed in Ballston Spa for 6 months of my training! I loved it with all of the hiking and the Hudson river right there. I also got picked up for the NPPO welder 10 week school at Groton. It was one of my favorite schools I got sent to. I bet that Japan was something else; I would have loved to get to visit some of the Pacific ports. Take it easy. Keith

Gad, such young fellers......thanks for serving

Thumbnails are what resulted when I joined October 1959 to become a Machinery Repairman

Attachments

• A School Scan.jpg
    A School Scan.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 154
  • johnny.jpg
    johnny.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 144
Ya Japan was pretty good, just went back the day after the election to see some buddies still stationed there. And after a lot of beer and some habusaki I was ready to come home . I may have to head back once I'm ready to do it again. I wish I had some pictures to post like John in the previouse post but I'm not that pretty to look at. japan 01 042.jpgBut then again here I am with the bartender in the CPO club just a couple months ago, not from my active days. mike

Thanks for serving yourself! Those pictures are awesome! Here's a couple of mine :-D

Johny Cs.jpg
Me in my Johnny Cash's at C School (NPPO Welders)

Suez Canal COB.jpg
Me and the COB doing a surface transit through the Suez.

Going through the Suez was a interesting thing to do , went through there a few times , but the one that was a PIA was the Panama canal. After you went through the Panama it would be 10 days to about 2 weeks later that we would have to spend all kinds of time cleaning and changing sea water strainers due to the fact that the Panama was feed by fresh water and eveything living in the firemain would die and brakeaway and clog the hell out of everything. At least we would be on our way to South America where things were great. I am glad I dont have pictures of South America to show , at least nothing I could show here. We need to get together. I bet I have more war stories and drinking tips that could get us all in trouble. Then again I havent told you about Siapan.

Yeah, the Indian ocean wasn't that great either. Sea growth loves the warm water, so it never failed that after six months of deployment we would find ourselves in a foreign port hyrdolancing every heat exchanger so we could extend for a month or two.

BTW how you making out with the clutch part? I will post pictures of the correct one and the one I made if that would be of any help. Just give me a little time and I will try to get them on later today. Mike

Thanks for the offer! It ended up pretty good. It was the first thing I ever turned on a metal lathe. The hardest part for me was milling the flats on the one side. I wasn't very smart about how I secured it in the vise, and almost scrapped it. I rested the opposite face on some parallels, and then clamped it by the outer edge of the major diameter. That not only deformed the part where it met the jaws, but also only gave it about a square millimeter of surface area to contact the jaws. Next time I think I would make a block that I could bolt it to using the hole through the center.

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

Back