What's new
What's new

K&T Verticcle head for horizantal mill

jeep534

Cast Iron
this head followed me home I was wondering exactly what it is exactly and if anyone has any interest before it get shoved back in a corner with a bunch of valuable trinkets (junk) piled on it

archie =) =) =)

Attachments

• 1_1_13 001.jpg
    1_1_13 001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 1_1_13 002.jpg
    1_1_13 002.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 402
  • 1_1_13 003.jpg
    1_1_13 003.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 382
what it is exactly

One of a lot of 35 completed April 1943 for 1H/2H. You can tell WHICH of those it is for by the pair of sockets on the back of the part with the gear. For 1H they will be 2.875 ID and for 2H they will be 3.625 ID. This is the single swivel, or HEAVY DUTY. Missing column clamps and drive gear.

I made these aluminum column clamps for my double swivel

Attachments

• DCP_0239.JPG
    DCP_0239.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 319
Thank You john, I believe the clamps and bolts are in a box that came with the head, I have a 2HL mill I will take a few measurements and see if it fits my mill. do you have any photos of the drive gear. I will post the mill photos and s/n in another thread. my mill has 3 axis of acurite readouts on it.

archie =) =) =)

I would expect the HD to be driven 1:1 with spindle, so the spindle gear will be a duplicate (but opposite handed) of the 32 tooth helical gear you will find on the same shaft with the spiral bevel shown in the photos

(qualifications and musings) My double swivel made for a 2H uses the 32 tooth pair. It has never become clear to me that the 1H/2HL used the same since it is physically smaller in the distance between the spindle C/L and bottom of overarms measured radially. These two dimensions are 4 9/16 and 5 5/16" respectively in the late thirties full line catalog. If the same casting was used (as is indicated by one lot number covering both sizes of machines on this head), then the 2.875" (for 1H/2HL) sockets will be closer to the driving shaft than the 3.625" sockets - and the gear pairs for each size would have to be different.

Last edited:
update on the head

well shucks it is too big for my mill here are a few more pictures

Attachments

• 1_6_13 001.jpg
    1_6_13 001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 1_6_13 002.jpg
    1_6_13 002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 1_6_13 003.jpg
    1_6_13 003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 307
Always the case..... One time I bid on a complete head on ebay without knowing it was for a 2h and naturally found out AFTER I had won it... I dealt with the guy to just let me pay the ebay fee and all was alright.. I had a 2hl at the time.. I wish I would have gone ahead and gotten that head because now I have a 2h lol.. Not to worry though I do have a midgetmill and a Bridgeport M head for lighter work adapted to the 2h.. Ramsay1

correct and I did scrap a 2H after I got the running 2HL lol
Hindsight is 20 20 It did have something wrong in the gearbox though.

Please put me in line if you guys don't work something out. Also, I'll offer to make the mating drive gear- I've got a lead checker in the shop to get the correct dimensions of the helix angle.
Dan

Always the case..... One time I bid on a complete head on ebay without knowing it was for a 2h and naturally found out AFTER I had won it... I dealt with the guy to just let me pay the ebay fee and all was alright.. I had a 2hl at the time.. I wish I would have gone ahead and gotten that head because now I have a 2h lol.. Not to worry though I do have a midgetmill and a Bridgeport M head for lighter work adapted to the 2h.. Ramsay1

I would like to have a head for my 2HL however do you have photos of your adapted bridgeport head

Thank You
archie

I would like to have a head for my 2HL however do you have photos of your adapted bridgeport head

Thank You
archie

I have the genuine Bridgeport adapter for the M head.. I have the one for single overarm but it has mounting faces at 90 degrees to each other... I bought it on Ebay with part of an old M head and had to bore it out to fit the overarm of my 2h plain.. I also made a split bushing so that I can use the same head on my 2hl universal...The adapter can be seen here on page 7: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2099/3435.pdf

It is the top right hand photo.. On the drive gears for the K&T head, mine uses a 38 tooth geat.. I know because I had to cut one.. Ramsay 1:)

Back