What's new
What's new

Kearney & Trecker Taper Tooling

K&T_Journeyman79

Aluminum
I recently purchased a taper shank and Jacobs chuck off of eBay for my K & T Model 2D "Die Miller". Based on the ad photo, I assumed the taper was a No. 20. However, when I received the tooling, the taper was larger than would fit into my 2D spindle. It looks like it is a No. 10 taper.

Does any one know of or have a machine this taper will fit into?

IMG_3899.jpgIMG_3900.jpgIMG_3901.jpg

The taper on this Jacobs chuck adapter measures approximately 1.750" at the gauge line. It is larger than the No. 20 and No. 30 tapers on my 2D.

Does this taper look familiar to anyone with a K & T Autometric (Horizontal or Vertical)?

Hi i have a slight problem on the K&T 2D milling machine spindle. It has the original 30 nst which is a bit limited due that the tapers cant be found off shelf to buy. did someone made a conversion to a more modern/standard taper pls? i will appreciate any help. Thanks very much

Hi i have a slight problem on the K&T 2D milling machine spindle. It has the original 30 nst which is a bit limited due that the tapers cant be found off shelf to buy. did someone made a conversion to a more modern/standard taper pls? i will appreciate any help. Thanks very much

I am using QC30 tool holders from Gloster tooling. Qc30 is the same taper as 30NST so the spindle doesn't need modifying. To use these you need to remove the spindle keys/dogs on the end of the spindle (if fitted). They are held in with 1/4-20 screws. Make new keys to suit the 16mm wide slot in the qc30 holders. Then make a closing nut to retain the tool holder. This needs to screw over the 2 1/4 - 12 thread on the spindle and have two ears to retain the tool holder. The ears need to be timed to the thread, but this is fairly easy if you work out the position of the clamping face on the tool relative to the spindle then trial fit the partially made nut on the spindle. I now use QC30 most of the time, and have a chuck, selection of endmill holders, er32 collet. I'm lucky enough to also have the full set of original 2D collets and nuts and can switch to using those just by changing the spindle keys, which takes about a minute. I have a drawing of the qc30 closing nut that I made in Fusion360 if you are interested.
IMG_0533.jpg
IMG_0532.jpg
IMG_0531.jpg

I am using QC30 tool holders from Gloster tooling. Qc30 is the same taper as 30NST so the spindle doesn't need modifying. To use these you need to remove the spindle keys/dogs on the end of the spindle (if fitted). They are held in with 1/4-20 screws. Make new keys to suit the 16mm wide slot in the qc30 holders. Then make a closing nut to retain the tool holder. This needs to screw over the 2 1/4 - 12 thread on the spindle and have two ears to retain the tool holder. The ears need to be timed to the thread, but this is fairly easy if you work out the position of the clamping face on the tool relative to the spindle then trial fit the partially made nut on the spindle. I now use QC30 most of the time, and have a chuck, selection of endmill holders, er32 collet. I'm lucky enough to also have the full set of original 2D collets and nuts and can switch to using those just by changing the spindle keys, which takes about a minute. I have a drawing of the qc30 closing nut that I made in Fusion360 if you are interested.
View attachment 224446
View attachment 224447
View attachment 224448
I was lucky enough to get the wood box with all the 20 and 30 tapered shanks with a full set of collets with my 2D. This topic comes up often because the tooling is propiaritary and difficult to find for 2D mills.
This modification would be a good one for the noteworthy threads as an option for those without tooling
and also an option for more versatility in tooling.

I think it would not be hard to get a set of chuck adaptors,collet holders and end mill holders turned to match the standard spindle and keys. I have a K&T drawing for a chuck adaptor, but was put off doing it myself as I don't have an OD grinder.

Several years ago it was posted that the Elaire corporation could make any collet for anything? I book marked this in case I ever needed more collets for my 2d? Their website says that too but I haven't contacted them to verify it?

I have to say that despite having the full set, I don't particularly like the K&T collets, they aren't self ejecting and I don't like the amount of effort required to release them. I think that the more modern ER collets provide an easier to use solution. I wish the 2D had a simpler way to lock the spindle, I have been dreaming up a servo controlled spindle lock, but the rotary head makes it harder.

I put a drop or two of oil on my collets. Usually just a couple of light taps on the side of the tool is all it takes for my collets to release after loosening the spindle nut. Considering the machine design is almost 80 years old I think it is an amazing machine.

I think the machine is great, just don't like the collets. As an aside, I have the 2D price list from 1961 and 1968. In 1961 the set of collets cost £30, worth £660 today, equivalent of about $930.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Back