What's new
What's new

Kearney & Trecker vertical head identification

rustytool

Stainless
I found some numbers on the head but nothing matches anything I could see at the Vintagemachinery site.
On the tag on the front of the head is stamped 107795.
On the underside of the bracket for the lifting bolt is printed 1.01085.
On the face on the drive bracket where the head mates to and swivels is printed 10T621.
From the paper work atVintagemachinery I think it is a series 5782 head.
They show that it was available for the 2HL.
I've never seen a newer square head style mounted to an older machine like a 1947 2HLDSCN0726.jpgDSCN0724.jpgDSCN0725.jpgDSCN0722.jpg.
The head is drive by the spindle nose keys rather than with helical gears.

"square" design says considerably later than 2HL - which went away late forties

2HL over arms were 2 7/8 OD on 4.000" centers - does that info mate up with your vertical head?

All the mounting dimensions on the head, overarm diameter, center distance, distance of overarm centers to spindle center and dovetail width match up perfectly with the 2HL mill.
I need to get a cherry picker or build a little gantry crane before I can lift it up onto the mill.
I'd say 200-250 pounds.
Maybe I'll have a friend help me put up just the drive bracket to see how it fits.DSCN0729.jpg

On my endless to-do list, I plan on making a metal skid/cradle that i can set on a mills table (either beside or over the top of the vice) and use the table to lift off the vertical head. Then I can slid that onto one of our many flat deck lift carts. First candidate would be the Midgetmill head on our K&T 2H, but it would also be nice for servicing Bridgeport heads.

The other possibility is to just make a side arm to move the head out of the way like they originally intended.

I think that is the same style head I have on my 2k, but mine has 4" arms i believe.

I bought my head off craigslist. I was surprised when I showed up and it was a newer boxy style head. The previous owner told me it would mate up with older machines and I just had to take his word for it until I got the head home to test fit it.

I prefer this style head to the old style because it doesn't require the drive gear like the older models(which always seems to be missing).

I got the head up on the mill and it fits perfect.
I still think it's too big for this mill though. A 40 taper horizontal spindle driving a 50 taper vertical seems kind of backwards.
It runs very smooth and quiet.
If anyone has a mill that this fits I would sell it.
DSCN0737.jpgDSCN0735.jpg

I agree that it sounds odd. However, if it fits and you do not have any other vertical head, I strongly suggest you to wait till you find a properly-sized working head before you sell this one.

Paolo

I identified it as the one I want for my Kearney 205a-- which started in the 60's and continued to mid 70's.

My CK and K have much rounder castings-- my 205 is shaped like this one-- I have a compound head on one 205 and am looking for a head for the other.

I have an accessory brochure and will look through that to see if it matches something.

Back