What's new
What's new

Last pour at Esco to the last castings machined at Navco

collector

Hot Rolled
Hi guys
I have seen the last pour at the foundry that I posted in the manufacturing section. And have followed the lasts castings to the machine shop yesterday was the last day of machining and tonight the last afternoon shift. So I stoped by on my way home to have a look. And the machines are all ready being scraped. It's just unreal to see a machine running yesterday and junk the next day. And by the end of the month you would not know there was a machine shop or foundry here. And also a big fab shop is closed this month down the street. It's like a domino effect the hole dam area is collapsing. Here are some pictures. IMG_2593.jpgIMG_2672.jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_2660.jpgIMG_0013.jpg

I'd sure like that big Carlton. The Betts table would make a nice welding bench if they're just going to scrap it anyway :cryin:. Is all the machinery deemed to old and worn out to bother auctioning off? What about all the smaller tools and stuff, too? A shame for sure.

I'd sure like that big Carlton. The Betts table would make a nice welding bench if they're just going to scrap it anyway :cryin:. Is all the machinery deemed to old and worn out to bother auctioning off? What about all the smaller tools and stuff, too? A shame for sure.

I've used a Carlton of that size/age before, very nice machine. Used to push 3" HSS drills with it, talk about a chip! :D

IMG_0395.jpgIMG_0392.jpgIMG_0380.jpgIMG_0377.jpgIMG_0048.jpgHi Sip
Yes some of the machines date back to the turn of the last century so what there very heavy only have to go at slow rpm to cut manganese steel had been coverted to hydraulic drives or VDF and well maintained.There are no new machines made that could take the beating that they could. Or any inserts that could go any faster. And the shop had say 30 men well paid with All benefits.
What put an end to the foundry and the machine shop was the foundry went to China to get there parts made. And from what I here there total shit.
Here are some more pictures of the slaughter of the machines The last picture is one of the surface grinders when I first saw it grinding I almost shit my pants and jumped out of my boots it has a flame of sparks coming of it like a jet engine totally un real to see. But all cut up know funny that all that stuff will end up in China any way and come back here as some sort of junk that we will buy and throw out and go back to China and come back again.
Collector

Hi Michael
Your the second person that would have like to make a welding table from the chucks.
There about at least 5 tons in weight for the smallest one. The best machine the big Betts is about to get scraped I was offered it but sadly had to decline it
weighs 80 tons .

Collector

IMG_0423.jpgIMG_0443.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0437.jpgIMG_0444.jpgHi guys
I stoped by tonight and the big Betts is being scraped the big green one is done there's a picture of the base and pictures of the big one under way. To think that we're going backwards just bogels the mind.

Who makes machines tools in America that this place could have replaced the equipment with?
Giddings & Lewis. But it wouldn't be cheap, and I am not so sure that the "modern" machinery would make enough difference to pay for itself. Some processes are mature, as they say.

There was a lot of really beautiful late-model stuff at Falk, and that didn't save it from Rexnord's finance assholes.

Don't buy anything from Rexnord. Ever. In fact, if you see one on fire ? Don't walk across the street to piss on him.

Yes i was thinking if the items could be refurbished and a reduced sum to new and still make good product, how utterly wasteful and spiteful to scrap the items. Leave them as they are or at least or sell them. by the time you take out labour for scrapping most the material residual price will be gone.

It reduces the market as to who competes if they scrap them out and reduces the capacity of the manufacturing sector. Selling out to china.

I will sneak this link in our illustrious elected leader is making fun of Trump in front of a press gallery, this is really bad form on his part and the sad thing is the other leaders seem to have similar attitudes no matter which party, this will be bad for American Australian relations, i would think the US consulate would find it and pass on the info to your president.
Shameful act.

Malcolm Turnbull mocks Donald Trump in leaked Laurie Oakes video

many old foundries had a cuploa furnace burning coal coke and no pollution control equipment. even electric arc furnaces emit massive amounts of smoke painted metal and oil and other contaminates like lead, mercury, etc
then many foundries used oil in the sand for molds and when metal poured it emitted flames and smoke for hours.
i know in New York State the price paid for less pollution and acid rain has been pollution regulation and many factories stopped doing dirty manufacturing. even electrical power plants have been shutdown in enormous amounts that is the coal fired ones
you hear they can melt in clean induction furnaces but you do not hear they cost more in melting costs to be competitive.

you hear they can melt in clean induction furnaces but you do not hear they cost more in melting costs to be competitive.
But if all the US requires the same clean air standards then the competition is exactly the same.

Oh wait ! free trade ! globalism ! Sweep the pollution under the rug, screw over American workers, benefit a bunch of asshole MBA's ! Hooray !

You say pollution doesn't just stay where it's created ? Stinking air from China blows to the US ? CO2 warms the entire planet ? What goes in the ocean kills the entire ocean ?

Who cares, we'll be rich, rich I tell you ! Wealthy beyond your wildest dreams, as soon as we put them damned workers in their lowly place !

Back