What's new
What's new

Lubricating oil and grease

bubba2872

Plastic
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I need a little help. I just bought a Cincinnati Toolmaster vertical mill. I didn't get any manuals with it so I need to know what type of oil to use in the one shot oilers. I also noticed that there's a grease zerk under the motor housing. will any bearing grease work or do I need some thing special?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I need a little help. I just bought a Cincinnati Toolmaster vertical mill. I didn't get any manuals with it so I need to know what type of oil to use in the one shot oilers. I also noticed that there's a grease zerk under the motor housing. will any bearing grease work or do I need some thing special?

Try this.. Hope it helps.. Ramsay 1:)

Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. - Publication Reprints - Toolmaster 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, and HV Service Manual and Parts List | VintageMachinery.org

If you have the model 1D (like me) the zerk is for the variable pulley on the motor shaft. The manual doesn't say anything about how the driven pulley is lubricated or for that matter how the quill is lubricated either.
Let me know if you figure those out. I haven't figured them out yet.

I have a Cincinatti Toolmaster 1B that came with manuals, but all of the specifically spec'd brand/type oils seem like they are long-unavailable. I did find some old data on the oils' viscosities and characteristics, and came to the conclusion that modern good-quality hydraulic oil is darn close if not quite spot-on- I can't remember if I concluded that ISO46 hyd. oil or ISO68 hyd. oil came closest, but I think that I may have gone with the lighter weight since I have an unheated shop and temperatures drop pretty low here. Then again, my Cincinatti seems to weep oil from multiple locations like it wants to be the Exxon Valdez when it grows up- so maybe the thicker viscosity hyd. oil would have been better (or maybe I just need to attend to root causes of the leaks...)

I would not use hydraulic oil in a machine tool spindle or gearbox, for reasons discussed here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/what-oil-229279/index3.html#post1841541

Hydraulic oils are engineered for very different service than circulating oils, in particular, they are designed to work with filters. About the only thing that will be right about it is the viscosity. An automotive gear oil would be much closer. The Mobile DTE "named series" are a better choice, for example, DTE Heavy Medium (not to be confused with their DTE hydraulic oils like DTE 26).

Cal

Bubba Sir,
According to the manual that ramsey1 posted a link to.. the oil you want is Mobil dte heavy medium and the grease would be Mobil 222. As for the one shot oilers I think I'd be tempted to use Mobil vactra #2, it's a designated way oil and is also a ISO 68 oil.
Not trying to be a shill for any particular company but petroleum supply company has really good cross reference materiel ( and I do deal with them fairly often ). MSC and Travers has the oil you need in gallon sizes ( sourcing industrial oil in less than 5 gallon pails can sometimes be problematic )
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin B

Back