What's new
What's new

Milwaukee k&t 315ch

Jemert

Plastic
Hi guys, I just bought a k&t 315 ch horizontal mill. I have been looking for the specs on the weight of this machine and haven't been able to come up with a number yet. Do any of you have a better idea than I do, I am figuring between 6 and 7 thousand pounds.

Over that I'd guess. In the '57 catalog the somewhat earlier 3CH plain was 7200, the Universal 7400 and the "ram" (powered over arm) was 8750

Yes Homestead this is the mill from cannon equipment in the auction early last week. They basically gave the thing away, I ended up winning the bid. I was hesitant on buying it sight unseen but I spoke to the plant manager and he said the mill was fully functional.

I would like to get a dividing head for this mill, what would you guys recommend. I think it's going to be interesting moving this hunk of iron without the use of hydraulics or a hoist.

I would like to get a dividing head for this mill, what would you guys recommend
For that size mill, any decent quality dividing head with a 10" swing or larger. No need to brand match. Something in the 75-150lb range, for a 10" swing. Larger DH's that will fit on a #3 mill can be quite a bit heavier, like 300lb, but I would seriously consider whether the additional swing is worth the inconvenience to you of having to mount it with a crane.

In this size, for use on a mill that large, I prefer a DH with a NMTB50 taper, on which you can also bolt a chuck. The alternative is a DH with a spindle threaded for a chuck mount. This is a matter of preference, not necessity. Threaded spindles tend to have fairly small bores. A 50 taper bore will swallow the tail end of most parts that will fit through the center hole in the chuck, and I can always use my 50 taper endmill and shellmill holders for work holding.

If you want to mill helices, make sure the input shaft to the DH points to the appropriate end of your table when the index plate faces front. I don't know about that particular mill, but some mills were designed to have the DH banjo/feed take-off on the left end and others on the right end. If you don't care about helixes, you can buy a slightly less expensive DH and ignore the issue. DH's with an input shaft are "universal" and ones without are "semi-universal" if they tilt. Sellers may not make that distinction (or make it incorrectly).

The vast majority of DH's have a 40:1 turn ratio between the index plate and the spindle. The next most common (but distant second place) turn ratio is 5:1. You can work with either, but 40:1 would a recommended choice.

Last edited:
Yes Homestead this is the mill from cannon equipment in the auction early last week. They basically gave the thing away, I ended up winning the bid. I was hesitant on buying it sight unseen but I spoke to the plant manager and he said the mill was fully functional.

Yeah, it looked like a nice mill. I would have liked it, but I'm glad it isn't going to the scrap yard. Did you get anything else at that auction? I would have loved that Doall bandsaw, too.

Moving it won't be awful, really. A buddy and I moved the 320TF (12,600lbs) I just bought with 2 porta-powers, a couple of 1" solid bars, and a pinch bar over to the shop door and from my shop door to it's final location. Depending on how far you're going, you might look at the rollback wrecker option we used. That took 100% of the stress out and cost about $50 less than renting a 12,000lb forklift ($550 tax incl, 90 miles one-way).

Your mill you might be able to drag up a car trailer with a lever hoist, perhaps on a sled of 12ga sheet. Most of the time, though, I've been lucky enough to sweet talk the guy with the forklift into getting it on the trailer.

Back