What's new
What's new

Model K ten inch dividing head on 2hl universal

ramsay1

Titanium
Hi everyone: Got this dividing head recently along with the correct tail stock.. Took a few pics to show that one cannot drive this head with a low lead attachment on a 2hl..I think it will work in conjunction with a conventional lead attachment...
This is a late model dividing head probably sixties as indicated by the plastic handles..

Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• late model.JPG
    late model.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 331
  • mis.JPG
    mis.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 208
  • mis 1.JPG
    mis 1.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 203
The serial on those is the modern format as described in lot book - stamped near bottom of one of the side edges

I looked for a serial number and was not able to find one.. The thing was somewhat covered with the remains of soluble though and I must admit my eyes are not what they use to be... I will look again.. Thanks John! Ramsay 1:)

So make up a shaft and have at it. Hooke couplings are not the only kind of universal joint. Repezza was not dumb.

Or even a double Cardan

IIRC if the shafts are parallel and the crosses are phased the same (eg also parallel in both planes) it should have no effect on the accuracy. Trouble starts with the shafts not being parallel, or the crosses not parallel, that's when you need a sort of CV joint.

So make up a shaft and have at it. Hooke couplings are not the only kind of universal joint. Repezza was not dumb.

Or even a double Cardan

I have a short shaft with two universal joints with internal splines on each end ...I made this shaft so that I could use a 16" rotab on the 2hl...At some point I will try it out I am sure....

I remember the Rzeppa joints from the front axle of Willys Jeeps.. Ramsay 1:)

Model K on 2HL in action

One can in fact run a model K dividing head under power from a 2hl universal....Machining a back plate for a six inch three jaw chuck to make the unit more versatile until I can find the proper 7 inch chuck for it.. Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• fidget spinner 1.JPG
    fidget spinner 1.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 190
  • fidget spinner.JPG
    fidget spinner.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 154
Most Excellent Sir! I find my path may not be as doable as yours turned out to be. Ima try Van Norman Mill & B&S #2 Dividing Head. The K&T gearbox on the end of your table lends to solving my mystery - I've not seen that in any of the manuals I've been exposed. Oh well, I'm a newb. Thanks for posting!

Probably three quarters of the machines I operated in the years past, giant shapers, gear hobbers, etc had drive shaft and u joints on them. These are the machines that built America.
Brown and Sharp, Cincinnati machines as big as a house had drive lines all over them.
These old girls even with 40 years and more running time with all those drive shafts on them still held amazing tolerances.

Back