What's new
What's new

The moving of an American pacemaker

Chknives

Aluminum
I just recently purchased an American pacemaker 14x54 from 1951and would like to share the process in which I took to move it. Beware I didn't make all the decisions, so some of the practices may be unsafe. Please be responsible when moving these beasts. Anyway back to the moving part! Here's a little back story before. The owner received the machine from his father who passed away recently. He has had the lathe for as long as he can remember (he's at least 40-50) and said he loved the machine but he already had a machine that replaced it. A new 26" jet with that 4 1/8 through hole, his father purchased it instead of getting the pacemaker rebuilt. He also had a bunch of cncs, a Carlton radial, hlv-h clone, and some other I didn't see. He is a previous Boeing programmer/machinist and is a lot smarter than he looks ( no offense intended). He also had a bunch of tractors, cars, a steamer car, and a 1929 Chevy I think. Very nice property his family had owned for generations. The lathe is from hyster forklift company and in which his father worked. You will see hyster forklifts used to move the lathe.

The first thing we did is drag the lathe out with a forklift and machine skates. We tried lifting it with 1 forklift but both couldn't lift the lathe sufficiently. So we used 2 forklifts and fork extensions. We lifted it on 2 4x8 blocks to not damage the lathe and clutch rod. When the lathe was suspended 6in off the ground he full on pushed on the tailstock and said " it ain't moving that's for sure" I laughed in amazement after being scared a little. My dad backed up below the lathe with the tilting trailer and then we set it on plywood so we could get it off the trailer. Later we tied it down with tie downs and didn't use padding on ways because they were new and soft enough that I knew they wouldn't damage the ways. The tie downs around the tailstock handle are the slack portion and I did not do that part even though no one will believe me. I tied the chuck guard so it wouldn't fling around while driving. It was interesting going down the steep hills and hitting bumps. We stopped to eat and we knew no one was going to mess with the lathe and Thats why there's a pic of us in a parking lot.When we got to my new shop (barn) my dad backed the truck up and started planning the route of attack. Since this was our first time moving a machine over 2700lbs. We decided to use a come along, toe jacks, handymans jack, pipes, pry bars and machine skates . We moved it most of the trailer length before tilting. Had to remove cover to access lifting reliefs easier. We rolled it on pipes with a come along until the angle was too extreme where we had to put a new pipe every inch. So we lifted the lathe put skates under and slowly pushed it down, with a come along of course. We left the machine on skates til the next day and the. Moved it to a temporary location until we put new floor in our shop part. We got 3 cushman chucks and a faceplate 1 3 jaw, another with removable faces of jaws, and a four jaw. It also had a box of spare parts. The owner opened up the cabinet when we first set it on the cabinet and said "we haven't opened this the whole time we've owned this. It was a bunch of spare parts such as a main shifter , new gibs, shifter parts, and a bunch of bearings. I'll post the pics I. A little any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and interest.

Carter

Last edited:
You still should have used something between the lathe and the straps! Mainly to protect the straps from damage. A bit of movement between the lathe and the tight strap can sever the strap.

You still should have used something between the lathe and the straps! Mainly to protect the straps from damage. A bit of movement between the lathe and the tight strap can sever the strap.

Thanks for the advice, since I don't want a flying lathe next time I will definitely do so. Also I don't want anyone killed because of the lathe. Thanks again

The lack of pictures is my fault.

Carter dosent have a way to upload them so he sent them to me. I said I would get it done yesterday, but lied and got busy. I'll get it done today come hell or high water.

It's a 14x54 from 1951 with 18 speeds, 2000rpm, and a plain taper attachment I think. Doesn't look big enough to have bearings. The original motor had 7.5hp but it was replaced and they painted over the spec plate. I'll try and read it when I get my new shop running in this month and June. Cause right now I'm 2 miles away from the lathe and it's painted pretty good over it.

What oil do you recommend for the headstock, carriage and tailstock of the pacemaker? Where do you fill it? On the backside port and on top? Where do I put the majority of it? How much oil will the headstock take? Where do I hook up the cord lol? I know it has an electronics box but I'm clueless when it comes to wiring. Thanks everyone, hope John Oder can chime in.

on the back of the headstock there is an elbo with a flip top lid. that's for filling the headstock. if you open the belt gauard door there is a place to fill oil for the plunger/sight glass on the left of speeds/feeds gear box. the plunger oils the bearing in the speeds/feeds box. there is also a screw you take out to fill the plunger on the cartage but I'm not sure which one that is yet. I haven't made it that far on redoing my pacemaker.

it might not be a bad idea to take off your top cover on the headstock just to give everything a once over

Thanks. What do you mean by give everything a once over? Pour a little oil over everything? Or to just look inside? I also know your suppose to oil up top due to a plug up top that leads to a system of oilers.

just open it up and see if everything is in good shape. look the gears over, check the teeth, look for any other stuff that look out of place. poring oil in the trays wouldn't hurt since they connect to oil tubs that run down to the bearings

I opened it up before I bought it and looked at it for like 20mins. I'll probably look at it again soon. The gears looked really good and didn't see any nicks, bites, chips or grated up edges. If you looked in the pics I do have some spare parts in which came with the machine.

The only gears that seems to wear are the changegears. Could open the outer gearbox (at the back end of the spindle) and have a look-see. It might need a good cleaning in there too.

Nice job you done well, thats a big piece of iron. I'll never forget my first move. I was 20 years old and bought my first Bridgeport a good 50 miles from home. Armed with a garden trailer and my junk box boat of a Buick Lasalle I headed south alone.
The guy who sold it to me needed to be talked into loading it on as he smelled trouble. I got rolling and was soon scared out of my mind. "what am I doing" !!! I made it to the last turn off the highway and almost lost it on that ramp. I made it home and after a quick change of underwear got it unloaded. The axle of the trailer was bent on both sides and I never took a chance like that again.
It's pretty amazing what a young guy with a dream and the drive to be somebody will do to make it reality. I am greatful for all the opportunity over the years, Ive learned a lot about moving heavy equipment and safety trumps everything. Go slow and plan each step, know were you are going to go if something goes wrong. Plan Plan Plan.

Good luck with the lathe it looks like a gem.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Nice job you done well, thats a big piece of iron. I'll never forget my first move. I was 20 years old and bought my first Bridgeport a good 50 miles from home. Armed with a garden trailer and my junk box boat of a Buick Lasalle I headed south alone.
The guy who sold it to me needed to be talked into loading it on as he smelled trouble. I got rolling and was soon scared out of my mind. "what am I doing" !!! I made it to the last turn off the highway and almost lost it on that ramp. I made it home and after a quick change of underwear got it unloaded. The axle of the trailer was bent on both sides and I never took a chance like that again.
It's pretty amazing what a young guy with a dream and the drive to be somebody will do to make it reality. I am greatful for all the opportunity over the years, Ive learned a lot about moving heavy equipment and safety trumps everything. Go slow and plan each step, know were you are going to go if something goes wrong. Plan Plan Plan.

Good luck with the lathe it looks like a gem.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Thanks for the tips Ron. I always have a great time moving machines and always try to plan ahead. I've learned many ways to move things the way I want to and found what I should slow down on too. I was moving my mill yesterday (weighs about 2650) and since I have a wood floor barn, there was an indentation in the floor. While trying to go over this bump and turning the mill it fell off the skates (4-6in tallish) and so I caught the mill and my dad took hold while I took the skates out. Came pretty close to falling. Ahh just another day of moving machines, didn't scar me at all just thought to be more aware of how these skates react to what. Live and you learn thats the best way of thinking of things. When we hit bumps with the pacemaker you could just feel the shear mass of the thing and to see how stupid close people came to hitting the trailer was amazing, I just thought "fine hit the trailer, see what happens..." Thanks again

Carter

Back