What's new
What's new

Need some electrical diagnostic for my Cleerman layout drill.

8D-132

Cast Iron
Hello,
I am in need of some help figuring out why my Cleerman drill will not energize the motor starter coils. It ran when I bought it and when we moved it we had to remove the electrical box from the drill.
To which my helper made a sketch of how it was wired. That has been a few years ago and now I am in process of getting it going and following the diagram that has slightly faded over time and is giving me issues. the table works but the drill does not. This is a 220 system and I did check the motor. Everything is wired for 220, the coils are 220-208. It has 3 wire two contactor switches in the switch compartment and I have continuity to and from. They are the red wire far left and yellow far right and the black power in the front far left. The table controls work great. If I manually engage the contactors (and I don't like doing that) the motor runs smooth and reverses like it should.
I am using a 40HP phase converter and it has worked well for everything else that has reversing capability. I am reading 205 on the center leg going to the L1 leg and 120 on L2 and L3.
I wired something wrong, but what? I am missing something?

P4300581.jpgP4300582.jpg

Your motor does not utilize L2-ground or L3-ground. Check your voltages as L1-L2, L2-L3, and L3-L1. You say the motor runs when you manually engage the starter. Does the starter stay engaged when manually engaged or does it drop out as soon as you release the starter?

If the coils are 220V, do you have 220 or 120 to the coils? Have someone energize the start circuit while you check voltage.

Are there any safety or check circuits? Waylube level, e-stop, gear neutral, or something else?

Photos show a reversing starter - you can see the mechanical interlocks. As such, coils won't work together - they would be individually controlled by such as fwd and rev push buttons

Each 208/220 volt coil circuit needs to be powered from two hot legs the sum of which is 220v

To which my helper made a sketch of how it was wired. That has been a few years ago and now I am in process of getting it going and following the diagram that has slightly faded over time and is giving me issues.

I am missing something?

Yes, post the diagram or a clean sketch of it.

The phantom leg is on the L1 208 and the others L2 and L3 which are my 120 sides . When I tested it all I could get 120 nothing more at the coils. And as John mentioned the coils are separate for forward and reverse with interlock.
Now this took a turn for the surreal. I removed a small toggle switch on the left hand side of box and some cloth covered wiring that I had thought went to a remote light early in its life.( trying not have a fire hazard and it had been spliced several times. I made a jumper where it had been and everything come to life. This was on the left hand coil the jumper runs from the black switch on far front left wire to the L3 120 leg just on the right hand side of it.
I cannot figure why its wired this way because in this manor it works for the forward side great and it will energize the reverse side but will bot not release, That is where the toggle switch comes in you turn that off and release the coil.
This works for now and I will be able to get my job done. but I need to rewire in the manor of which John mentioned when I have more time because I don't like having something that you cannot shut down easily.
As always I want to Thank everyone who responded.

I'm glad you got it running-BUT my long range diagnosis IS:

YOU are the SECOND or maybe THIRD guy to mess with the wiring with an incomplete understanding of three way switches and latching relays. It's confusing and annoying until suddenly you "get it"

I earned the t-shirt with hours of cursing so don't be offended.

Also-leg to leg voltage is distinct from each leg to ground. You don't know nothing til you measure all six. Recently used that factoid to troubleshoot a 1/4 mile of damaged underground cable serving an irrigation system. Waiting on diggers hotline to clear us so we can dig it up and appropriately assign blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back