What's new
What's new

Need some help getting my K&T 2K up and running.

CoolHand

Hot Rolled
In Jan of this year I managed to acquire a K&T model 2K from 1942.

It operated before we moved it, and it landed in my shop safely, etc. No damage in transit.

It has two (2) issues that I need to sort out, and that's where I need your help.

The first one is that the table feed handwheel will not engage, it just freewheels.

I've gotten the handwheel off and down to the bare screw end, but I am hesitant to take more apart without at least some idea of what is in there.

I've scoured through the VintageMachinery.org archive, and I've come up with bumpkis for an exploded parts diagram. The two that I've found (for the 2CK and the H models) both show parts that are quite different than what I have here. They show a three piece dial assembly with a spring inside it and some other parts that just aren't there on my machine. My 2K has a solid dial held to the screw with a setscrew that bears on a keyed bushing that rides on the screw. No springs at all, many fewer pieces, etc. This is obviously not the right parts diagram, but it's all I've been able to find thus far.

That's where you guys come in. I know someone here has to have a 2K that they've had the table feed handwheel end apart on.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The other issue is that the spindle speed change crank has been taken off the machine, and I have no idea how to get it back together. It looks like it's all there (as in, I have the parts), I just have no idea how they're supposed to be assembled. Again, an exploded view drawing would work wonders here, but since the ones I have are wrong on the table feed end details, I am loathe to trust them on this either.

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys. :cheers:

Parts Book, Repair Manual

Do you have the parts book or any schematics from a service manual?

Those are available.

As for the handwheel not engaging-- it won't engage any time the powerfeed is already engaged. You may want to examine that linkage.

Good luck

Do you have the parts book or any schematics from a service manual?

Those are available.

As for the handwheel not engaging-- it won't engage any time the powerfeed is already engaged. You may want to examine that linkage.

Good luck

No, I don't have the correct Parts Manual, that's part of my problem. If I had those, I'm fair sure I could suss out the problems myself.

That's pretty much why I posted, I'm looking for anyone that has a copy of the Model K Parts Manual with the exploded view drawings in it. If I knew how it all went together, it'd be much easier to take apart and fix.

I think the handwheel is just stuck in the disengaged position, as once I got it apart (as far as I went anyway) it became obvious that there was a sliding component that went through the hollow end of the screw that actuates something, but it is very difficult to move (can't be done by hand, but moves easily with the tiniest of taps from a brass hammer).

I expect that this is the mechanism that forces the handwheel to freewheel when the feeds are engaged, but it gets stuck in the freewheel position, and I don't want to take it all apart without having at least some idea of what's in there first.

Thumbnail shows end of table. Lever is tied to one other - one on front of saddle

The two work together when you want the table to feed - at which time the hand wheel is disengaged

Attachments

• Table End Controls.jpg
    Table End Controls.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 58
K&T

IMG_2328.jpgIMG_2329.jpgIMG_2331.jpgIMG_2332.jpg
Hope this helps, on your spindle speed crank pay close attention to the valve operating arm located within the speed selection lever. When you pull out the knob to make a speed change this arm activates the clutch override and trips the clutch handle out of drive so that you are not changing gears with the drive engaged.
Mike..........

Thumbnail shows end of table. Lever is tied to one other - one on front of saddle

The two work together when you want the table to feed - at which time the hand wheel is disengaged

Yup, both those levers work like you describe on mine, so the linkage is all still together. However, even when they are in neutral, the handwheel will not engage.

View attachment 196101View attachment 196102View attachment 196103View attachment 196104
Hope this helps, on your spindle speed crank pay close attention to the valve operating arm located within the speed selection lever. When you pull out the knob to make a speed change this arm activates the clutch override and trips the clutch handle out of drive so that you are not changing gears with the drive engaged.
Mike..........

I believe those will be quite helpful indeed.

One thing I noticed right off though is that the second drawing is showing the graduated dial has having three pieces with a spring inside it, whereas the one I just took off my machine is just a solid chrome plated chunk of steel with a setscrew through the side of it that bears onto a bushing that is keyed to the screw. No spring, no retainers plates or screws or anything else, just the solid dial. That's what's throwing me off.

Do you think I'm missing parts, or just have an oddball table feed end?

Maybe shop built stuff - fairly common on a 75 year old

If it's shop built, they did a damned fine job of it. Dial is hard chrome plated like all the others on the machine, and the keyed bushing is hardened and fits like a glove.

I'm not worried about the dial being "correct" anyway, I just want to get the handwheel working again.

Those exploded drawings may help me get there, I'm gonna blow them up and print them out so I can take 'em over into the shop with me.

Thanks for your help so far guys. :cheers:

Probably, if you were to post a couple of pictures of your setup, somebody here could recognize it and be even more helpful.

Paolo

Probably, if you were to post a couple of pictures of your setup, somebody here could recognize it and be even more helpful.

Paolo

Indeed.

Here's all I've got at the moment (I'll take more as I get into it farther tomorrow or the next day):

TableFeedEnd1.jpg

TableFeedEnd2.jpg

I've been studying the above posted schematics, and I think I've got my head around it a little better now.

Gonna pull that cover on the end there with the big flat head screws in it and see what sort of mischief is going on inside that housing. I think that's where all that linkage mates up with the power feed mechanism, so that should be where my issues are.

We shall see.

OK, pulled the cover off the end and the mechanism's function became plainly apparent.

Nothing amiss with the mechanicals, just 70 yr old weasel snot gumming up the works.

Liberal application of WD40 washed out and dissolved the bulk of the goo, and subsequent reassembly showed that the handwheel will now engage if you give the hub center a light smack with the palm of your hand before cranking.

Suspect that some of the remaining bind is caused by the end of the screw being ever so slightly bent, or maybe a burr or divot on the transfer rod that runs inside the screw.

However, it is functional now, so I am not going to dig farther at this moment. Moving on to the electricals so that I can get the spindle turning under its own power.

Thanks for the help guys. Turned out that nothing was really wrong, but the info gleaned here gave me the spine to dig into it far enough to find the trouble.

There will be some work to do on this machine some time in the future, but right now I just need to get it running so that I can use it. Always striving not to let the perfect be the enemy of good enough to get the job done, and all that.

Back