What's new
What's new

New to me Van Norman 24 MA mill

gi_984

Aluminum
I just purchased a VN model 24 MA. Came with all the arbor supports and original manual. It did not come with a slotting attachment. I'm curious if any other VN model 24 owners have used the slotting attachment and how well it works?

Are you aware of the Van Norman group on Yahoo? If not, you will probably find a couple more VN owners there...

I've got a #28, which is in the same approximate size category as a #24, but have never had my hands on a VN slotting attachment. My impression is that it works as well as any other fixed-stroke slotter, and looks sized to take a substantial cut. But sometimes you really don't want a fixed stroke.

What I'd really like to have, rather than a slotting attachment on my VN, is a Pratt&Whitney 6" vertical slotter. But no room in the shop for same...

Hi, yes I just joined the Yahoo group. Just starting to go thru old posts. I want to read up on whatever I can find before posting questions. I've only seen pictures of the Van Norman slotters also. Seems to be a rather rare beast especially in the bigger version. I'm agonizing over getting a slotting attachment for my Bridgeport or holding out for the Van Norman. I expect the Van Norman slotter would be more rigid etc. But the Bridgeport version is much more available. In fact a forum member here has offered me one at an attractive price.
I agree a P&W vertical spotter would be great to have. But my current shop is maxed out on space.

So far, I have seen only slotting attachments for model 12 or equivalent. I agree that having an adjustable stroke is an extremely-desirable feature. Personally, I'd be keen to compromise in rigidity and buy a Bridgeport slotting head in good shape (I believe the stroke adjustment mechanism is one of the weak points of that head).
Or, you can get a shaper, which would be very helpful in numerous other things.

Paolo

PS I do have only two VN 22L: one early production and one late production, with the knee, saddle, table similar, if not identical to a 24.

Say, Paulo, could you describe the Y axis ways on your two 22Ls? Are they the same on both machines?

I've seen three Y axis configurations on Van Normans:
1) Dovetails (especially on the earlier, smaller mills) left and right with a flat surface between them
2) What I call "split half dovetails" with a square way on the left, a dovetail on the right and a lowered channel in between, and
3) What I call "hat square" (on the later, larger mills) with square ways left and right and a raised rib in between.
There are a couple of mid-20 models where I think VN changed this feature during production, but my notes are fairly confused on this.

I know that at least some 22L's had split half dovetails. If you have both early and late production models, I'd love to know how they are configured.

Thanks!

Back