What's new
What's new

Pacemaker lathe lubrication

Glug

Hot Rolled
I am puzzled about the lube for the apron and tailstock of early Pacemakers - way oil vs. gear oil.

The only direct mention of lubrication (so far) is the Army manual (atw-pacemaker-general-army-manual.pdf). It specifies SAE 80 gear oil for the apron and tailstock (ref below). That surprises me, I would have expected a way oil.

That Army manual covers the newer models with the enclosed threading gearbox, and a plunger pump on the tailstock. The apron pump oiling configuration is also different.

Mine is a 1948 20x48 HD. I only see small ball oiler ports on that very large tailstock. Is there a reservoir in there (it wasn't apparent in the parts diagrams)? It seems such a large tailstock should have a fairly significant reservoir. I could see SAE 80 for the gear portions of the tailstock and way oil for sliding surfaces.

Is there a factory doc that specifies a way oil for the apron and tailstock?

I'm not at the point of getting into the headstock, or powering the lathe. Though one point I haven't seen clarified is detergent vs. non-detergent as it relates to filtered vs. non-filtered systems. The headstock oil is, of course, filtered. Past threads have recommended the same basic oil types that are used in non-filtered headstocks. With my light use I'm not too concerned about this, beyond flushing and fresh oil.

Head, Gear Box and Change Gearing-The head, gear box and change gearing are provided with automatic pump lubrication. This pump located in the bottom of the head unit provides the lubrication for all three of these units. Oil passing through the flow gauge in front of the head shows that the pump is working. Fill reservoir through plug in gear box with a high grade machine oil, viscosity 275-290 seconds Saybolt at 100 degrees F. Drain and refill every six months thereafter. Keep oil at such a level so that it will be between the high and low limits on the gauge in the gear box while the head is at rest.

Carriage and Apron--The carriage, apron, cross slide, cross feed nut and half nuts are provided with automatic pump lubrication for longitudinal feeding, cross feeding, and chasing. Before starting each day, operate the auxiliary pump at the bottom of the apron freely. Keep apron oil reservoir filled between the high and low limits on the gauge with Gear Oil, S.A.E. 80 (MII,-L-2105, NSN 9150-00-240-2246).

The tailstock has its own plunger pump lubrication and the reservoir should be kept filled between the high and low limits on the gauge with Gear Oil, S.A.E. 80 (MIL-L2105, NTSTI 9150-00-240-2246).

1014b1c870aa40985b21_1.jpg

Thanks John. Missed that one. Vactra 2 it is.

I wonder why the Army manual departs from that for the later machines?

Here is the serial location - on front VERTICAL face

The 42 is the year on this one

The stuff under was for the government - DPC is for Defense Plant Corporation - which amounted to over 2500 industrial facilities

Attachments

• ATW Serial Location.jpg
    ATW Serial Location.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 104

Back