What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney 12x30 b

alittlerusty

Plastic
Thanks to all for the help with my drive belt problem. As I have said, I am scraping off the paint and doing a good clean up/inspection of my c/l aquired lathe. It took some time for me to recognise what I was looking at in the add. I wanted a lathe that was capable, but managable to place in my climate controlled walkout basement. Like a Clausing or South Bend. Finally, thank the Lord, 12x30 sank in, and I did my homework. Vandium gearing sold me, as well as the owner offering to deliver to my basement, a 35 mile trek. I got to see the machine under power, feeding cross, fore and aft, and a look under the bonnet. Those gears are beautiful. The lathe looked like Fido's a'hole in the c/l add, but she is really cleaning up well. All there except the steady and follow rests, and the t/a follow block. I can just catch my fingernail at the top of the V way where the worse wear is. I haven't set up the Testmaster to check as of yet.
But enough of my gloating...
I have searched the forum for experiances of removing the feed, lead, and control shafting, as well as the Q/C box and saddle/apron. I my be nuts for even thinking about it, but I am loath to run this fine "high class" machine with 75 years of dust and glomm in it's works. This is a labor of love, btw, I don't have any hot jobs pending. Just something sweet for my retirement, someday. Some men chose Harley's.
Any guidance appreciated!

Back