What's new
What's new

Running my K&T 3H for the first time!

USNmechanic

Aluminum
Here's a (crappy) video of me running my mill for the first time since I bought it back in November last year! I had to build a RPC first since I didn't have 3 phase already. I'm glad it works as I didn't get to run it when I bought it. I was a little worried at first since I couldn't get the spindle to turn, but it looks like these machines are a little finicky when engaging or disengaging the spindle reverse. My guess is that someone (probably me) tried to mess with the dials and knobs while it wasn't running and got it stuck somewhere in between. Anyways, I read in the operating manual that you need to shift it to slow speed and then jog the spindle while trying to operate the spindle reverse lever. It worked like it should after that.

The power feed works for all saddle directions, but I still can't get the head to move. I've loosened the locking nuts and made sure that there is is oil in the head, but the head seems locked in place. The hand wheel won't turn, and the power feed just makes a loud clucking sound when it's raised (maybe a clutch releasing?). It doesn't sound like grinding. It doesn't make any sound when pressed down and doesn't feel like it's trying to engage anything. I have no idea what the condition of the ways are for the head, but I know it wasn't used for a long time so I'm not sure if they're rusted inside or not. Either way I'll need some bigger tools in my shop to start digging into this :-) Next up is to figure out what oil to use for this and then do a kerosene rinse. I appreciate all of the advise in advance!

Back