What's new
What's new

Shaper questions

romie24

Hot Rolled
Hey all
I have some questions on a Steptoe shaper I looked at today. Where it is at there is no power for it, and it hasn't ran in 20 or more years. The scale on the side of the ram ends at 16 but it looks like there is more travel than that. It does have dovetail ways not square, and it has the oil pressure system. I am guessing this machine is not ancient, but if I can get the serial number can it be dated approx. . I hope to go and look at it again tomorrow. Where is the serial number? I didn't have a tape but am guessing it was around 3.5 to 4 foot tall. Overall length might have been 6-7 foot, I'll try to get better measurements tomorrow. 220/440 motor. Any ideas of what all I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike

It does have the vise I was told it came with, and the table support is there. The clapper is froze, I'm sure some Kroil would do wonders. I will have to see more tomorrow. Mike

Steptoe Shaper

Hi all: I have the 14" back geared model with pressure lubrication.. I got it from a state auction for 200 dollars some years back.. Mine had been outside for awhile and the sump was full of leaves from an oak I presume.. I cleaned out the sump, added fresh oil, new belts and new bearings in the motor and it came to life...Mine has four speed transmission with Twin Disc clutch...
Machine has never had but about three or four psi of oil pressure but it is enough to get oil up to the top and oil the ram and everything else...

I am quite happy with it..

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 210
Main thing to check is the the tool side has not been backed into the column and ripped off the ram in the past. Typical rookie oops. You'll see lots of brazing (or god forbid nickel stick welding) on the ways and behind the clapperbox if that is the case.

Well I got to look at it again yesterday, but then spent the whole day with an old navy buddy and needless to say I wasn't in any condition to get back on here till now. The shaper looks pretty good all around I checked the areas that were mentioned here and all looks good. I took the side cover panel off and looked inside, looked good. It is a 16" with a red number 4 on side and I think it said Western manuf. The only thing that concerns me is the guy told me it hasn't ran in 24 years , the electrical boxes are all rusted up, no power in his shed to try it out . He did say the heaters in the starter box panel are bad. The table will slide side to side but not up and down, I am sure it's just a sheared pin or key. It is a plain table with single screw vise the looks like it came with it as he says and the table support. With all this stated and sorry no pictures from me and it does have 2 tool holders . Any idea the going price on one like this? Mike

Maybe $250. It is really up to you as to how much you want it. You could take a closer look with the side off and see if the sliding block in the vertical arm has gauled up its ways from no lube. This is the heart and soul of any crank shaper and cannot be seen from outside

Well I got to look at it again yesterday, but then spent the whole day with an old navy buddy and needless to say I wasn't in any condition to get back on here till now. The shaper looks pretty good all around I checked the areas that were mentioned here and all looks good. I took the side cover panel off and looked inside, looked good. It is a 16" with a red number 4 on side and I think it said Western manuf. The only thing that concerns me is the guy told me it hasn't ran in 24 years , the electrical boxes are all rusted up, no power in his shed to try it out . He did say the heaters in the starter box panel are bad. The table will slide side to side but not up and down, I am sure it's just a sheared pin or key. It is a plain table with single screw vise the looks like it came with it as he says and the table support. With all this stated and sorry no pictures from me and it does have 2 tool holders . Any idea the going price on one like this? Mike

Looks like the same machine that I bought for 200 bucks some years back.. Mine had the original GE motor on it...This is the one with pressure lube system as well .. Mine was complete except for no vise and table foot.. I really like mine but seems like his price is really steep.. Ramsay 1 :)

Here are a few before and after pics of my Steptoe.. Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• shaper A.jpg
    shaper A.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 264
  • shaper B.jpg
    shaper B.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 234
Well I am back now from looking at the shaper and drinking a ton of beer. Anyway long story short the shaper is I think in pretty good shape overall but the distance and price I think are the issues at hand. On top of being told once I saw it run I would like it, but got there and no power to run it. Maybe it was miss communication ? I did look at another one on my way home, a G&E 32" stroke. It looked very good and has been maintained, even a decent coat of paint, I do not think he painted it to sell. He said it was his dads and he kept everything in good shape. He ran it and it sounded great. It has a plain table with the support. Not all beat up and the clapper looked to be untouched of any repairs, oil on the ways. It has a cover that is removable for a power down feed, I am going to guess those are hard to find as an add on . He can load it and its a lot closer to me. The price is a point as he seen what others on ebay are asking. He isn't as high as them but maybe he's in the ball park. Figure the machine must weigh 7-8000 lbs. 220/440 motor and some tooling along with a big vice. I want to thank you all for the info and help on the one I was looking at while visiting my buddy. Anyone here have experience with a shaper this size and if I was to get it using a loader tractor what would be the best way to lift?? My reason for looking for a shaper is to clean plasma cut parts for what we build here, and to shape certain parts for the valves. We build valves for the mining industry. Some are pretty good size, we just shipped one last week that was 72" ID . I am probably going to be selling a couple of K&T mills that aren't going to get much use anymore and to make room if I get a shaper. Anyway Thank you all for the info. Mike

I have a 32 G&E the weight on it is 5000 varies depending on year.

To get the potential out of a long stroke shaper it needs to be anchored to a substantial chunk of concrete well reinforced.

Only gain over a mill will be if your machining guided bend coupons.

We have to plasma cut out stiffeners for the blades so they are the same material, so I figured in order get the stiffeners flat and clean we could cut them instead of grinding. For the most part they are stainless steel mostly .5 thick some .750 to 1" They are different grades 304, 310, 316, etc etc. Also 516 gr 70 and 327 but not as much. I do have some mills, but I have them set up for specific work for the valves so I don't want to be breaking down the setups just to cut off plasma cut surfaces. There are probably better ways, but I think this would be the easiest and quickest way and take up the least amount of room.

Thermite

The mills I would look at shedding are a 1H and a 2hl both universal horizontals, I already have a 3K, 2K and a 307 S-12 they also are horizontals the 3k and 2k being unversals, the 307 plain. I have a bunch of arbor supports for these and some arbors and a 10" dividing head (H) type and a convention lead box. The 1h I have been using I have a 10" K type head on it and it works good it has a 2" through hole in it, I'll be keeping that head. You are probably right about the 32" shaper think I will do little more checking. As far as speed I look at like this, I would have to break my set ups down on the mills I am using, and this shaper I think would cut way down on grinding and help with fit up. Plus at times I need to make internal key ways and internal squares for shaft adapters and actuators. Mike

Thermite
It doesn't have the power down feed, it has a cover screwed on where it would go. Don't know if it ever had it and removed, or maybe that was the factory. Anyone here have a G&E with power down feed, can the parts be made to have it. Does it get much use?? Mike

Thermite
That sounds like good advice. I guess once I go get her I will post some pictures, guess I should also take some pictures of these mills I have to let go for room. Thanks mike

Just as reference, I paid in the neighborhood of $400 for my 1904 Averbeck shaper with a little tooling and a big vise. It is a 28"(?) machine. 5k lb Towmotor worked real hard to move it.

Be sure to post pics of the K&T's. I sure miss my K&T horizontal.

Back