What's new
What's new

Thinking About a 1940s? Cincinnati 2MI? Vertical

ihv800

Plastic
Hello all!

I've enjoyed and been fascinated with manual machining for a long time. I have very little experience with it, but am getting to the point I'll have a place I can set up with some machines. I'd really like to at least get a mill (initially was thinking Bridgeport) and a lathe (Monarch 10EE would be my ideal, but something similar in size I think). It will mostly be for hobbies sake, maybe a few small jobs for friends and such, and I really don't intend on doing much very heavy work (once I get going and learning, who knows, though!). Hopefully that will kind of give an idea on my situation.

My searches found this. It's listed at a Cincinnati #2. I believe it's a 1940s Cincinnati #2MI Vertical, though I'm not certain that's 100% accurate, just the closest I could come up with. My searching didn't come up with much specific information on these so I just wanted to share and hear what everyone has to say. I haven't went to look at it (and it may very well be gone) but I'd like to know what I should look for when/if I do. I'd also like thoughts on if this will fit my needs. I understand its substantially more capable than a Bridgeport but not as versatile? I also worry about how much space it takes up, but its much cheaper than any Bridgeports I've found.

Educate the new guy! Thanks
00e0e_l4QUFOLgoLv_1200x900.jpg
00c0c_1k7fhKe6dfb_1200x900.jpg
01313_2QwThSaoVfe_1200x900.jpg
00M0M_AgEKtYzZjP_1200x900.jpg

Since nobody else has chimed in...

The good:

That is one of the best vertical mills ever made in that size. It has gobs of power, endless rigidity, three axis knee powerfeed and head downfeed with stops and rapids on all. Hydraulically shifted transmission on both feed and spindle, as well as hydraulic spindle brake and a real live spindle clutch. It has acres of table space and you will never be able to run a Bridgeport with a straight face after you run this.

The bad:

It's probably going to need an ample supply of 3ph power (like 50 amps, combined, for the spindle and feed motors) and it weighs as much as three Bridgeports (count on 10,000lbs). If you can handle the power requirements and figure a way to move it into place, go for it!

Its not a 2mi that came later its a number 2 though.
I have a 1940 war dept machine, it eats steel ,its rigid , and nice to use and dead bang accurate
Mine works seven days a week on production even a 78 yrs old!

The bad is its not as versatile as a bridgeport especially as a sole shop mill , where you may need it to do drill duties or a odd sized job

Thanks for the replies guys! Sounds like a pretty great old machine. Mike, the shop I'm working with I specifically ran 3 ph into the panel so I would have access to power for machinery like this. I've wanted to collect some machines for a long time so when I ran the electrical to the building I wanted to be sure I had power for them! I should also have equipment able to move it around. Even so I'm sure I'll be a lot smarter by the time its sitting where I want it, if I end up with it. I do worry about it's size, the shop is primarily to play with my automotive and farm equipment hobbies and isn't as big as I wish it were. That mill will take up a pretty hefty spot!

Pressbrake, what's the difference between this and the later 2mi? I did a lot of looking and didn't really find reference to just a number 2 mill. That's pretty awesome you've got one still in a production setting! What a testament to how well these old machines were made.

Could someone elaborate to the new guy what exactly makes the Bridgeport more versatile. What are the capabilities and features of one that makes that so?

Bridgeport has a quill and yhe head is on a ram mount so varible throat depth.
The old mill is much heavier build than the mi and all the feeds are mechanical with no hydraulics in the knee or separate feed motor.
The table on the old lady is slightly small than the mi.
I have both and the older is superior.
Just buy it!

Back