What's new
What's new

Tips for Removing a K&T 2CHL Handwheel

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
I'm trying to remove the X-axis handwheel on the left side of a K&T 2CHL universal horizontal mill table. The attached image is excerpted from the Replacement Parts Manual for the 3HP 2CHL but the constituent parts seem to be the same for several models.

K&T 2CHL Handwheel.jpg

I've removed the #40 Spring which reveals the #36 pins but I don't see how to pull them out. They definitely don't drive through but it's not clear how one extracts them. The part #37 is called the "handwheel retaining pin" which sounds promising but I haven't identified it. Any tips from someone who has done this before?

By the way, the reason that I want to remove the handwheel is that the #34 handle has been broken off and I want to drill out the stub and install a new one.

I removed the handle on one of my 2CH's, and it was not what I expected. It was a short pin in a blind hole held in place by spring collar. I used a magnet and tiny screwdriver to get it to come out.

My 2k has 3 pins; at 0deg, 90deg, and 180deg. I ended up drilling and tapping holes in each pin to make them easier to remove the next time I had to remove the handle.

Back