What's new
What's new

tray top lathe QC gearbox questions

"Mike"

Plastic
I've got an early 50s Tray Top lathe that's partially broken down in my shop. I picked it up from the niece of the fellow who was doing a refresh on it, but passed away before he was able to get much done.

It's pretty much disassembled, except for the headstock. The tumbler gear lever on the gearbox was only going into four positions. That issue turned out to be a tumbler gear that was installed backwards on the yoke. Easy enough to fix once I determined that I could remove the yoke through the shifter hole in the front side of the gearbox. I still cannot figure out how to remove the shaft that carries the cone gear cluster. That shaft is also the output spindle, and there's about 1/16" of end float at the output end, which doesn't seem right.

The tumbler gear shaft has a bearing race and o-ring on the outboard side of the tumbler yoke. There is a wall on the gearbox casting that the shaft goes through, and on the outboard side of that wall there's an a/b lever with another gear that can be moved to a different shaft for metric threading.

My question is the bearing race and o-ring seem to be free-floating on that shaft where it goes through the casting wall. That does not seem correct, I'd expect the O-ring to be seated in a groove, and the bearing race should not be sliding back and forth on the shaft.

Any ideas? I do have a "manual". It does not have much on the gearbox other than one paragraph on removing it from the lathe, and a couple of exploded diagrams, but they just don't give enough detail.

thanks for any help or ideas

Back