What's new
What's new

Tree milling machine

collector

Hot Rolled
I was at a shop that has a Tree milling machine ser #9043 any idea on it age looks good and they dont use it becouse they cant figger out how the collet holder works ? Any ideas looks like a factory set up .And the model is a 2VGC

Collector

Last edited:
We have a tree head for one of our horizontal mills. If I remember right (been about 10 years since we had it set up) there's a U shaped slide that you pull out the back to disengage the collets. Uses z-type collets. I've heard mixed reviews on the systum. Some say Tree's bomb-awsome, other's say they're average. They seem solid to me.

We have a tree head for one of our horizontal mills. If I remember right (been about 10 years since we had it set up) there's a U shaped slide that you pull out the back to disengage the collets. Uses z-type collets. I've heard mixed reviews on the systum. Some say Tree's bomb-awsome, other's say they're average. They seem solid to me.
As collet systems go, the alphbetized Universal Engineering system is all clamp. The double tapers cover the entire exterior of the collets, creating much more clamping force than the comparative short taper portion of collets like R8 and 5C.

I believe that the common size used on the Tree is Z, which goes up to 25/32, I've squeezed 20mm into mine. Never had one lose it's grip and they are available.

Ooops, just noticed that M.B. said that they are Z's. Well, there ya' go.

Bob

The Tree VGC uses ZZ collets which go up to a little over 1".
Once you get the hang of it, the collet mechanism works quickly and easily.
I have a scan of the manual for that machine.

Tree Photo

Here is a photo of a Tree 2uv used at NASA.

You can see the horseshoe collar thingy in this photo.

Its a quick system. Raise the spindle, pull the horseshoe collar towards you, replace tool, move horseshoe collar back, and your back to
milling. No drawbolt to deal with. The Tree 2VGC would be similar.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Attachments

• 1970_00648 small file.jpg
    1970_00648 small file.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 5,795
Thanks for the info I will go over and show the man what I have found out .Any ideal of the year the machine was made from the ser number .I take a picture of the machine and add it to the post .
Thanks Collector

2-vgc

This is the larger Tree manual mill, 3 hp. i think the 2-vgc has power feed in both x and y. 1" zz collets is correct, easy to use when you get the hang of it.

Is/was that NASA Tree at JPL? I still have one in service here at NASA Ames and we love it. It is so smooth, quiet and accurate - granted it has a Heidenhain DRO but it is used frequently.

MCSF,

Don't know where that photo was taken. Just know that it was dated 1970 as is the other NASA Tree Mill below.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Attachments

• NASA 1970_00681 small.jpg
    NASA 1970_00681 small.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,346
I have that set of photos, most dating much older than that, and they credit NACA Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory. But for some reason, I thought somebody mentioned that those particular Tree shots were from NASA Ames. But that is all I know, I wasn't there.:D

Hi guys I went over to have a look at the collet set up and I see how it works to change same size shank tools it's super fast to change to a different collet and get it adjusted a pita and not quite sure if it works as the tool falls out when trying to take a cut ??? Maybe that's why the machine is in such good shape it's never cut any thing . Is there something I am missing ?
Collector

Hello collector, The ring on the bottom of the spindle needs to be turned (I think to the left) to tighten the collet on tool shank when pushing the spindle handle back (away from operator) when the spindle is held by the "horseshoe". The spindle has to be moved down a bit in order to be able to pull the "horseshoe" out. Turning the ring too much and it won't lock & not enough it won't lock & tool will be loose. When adjusted right you can feel it lock without undo force on the handle. The ring dosen't have to be turned a lot to go from too tight to too loose. The collet is unlocked by holding spindle with the "horseshoe" & pulling the spindle handle toward the operator. I can send a scan or post the instructions as the above may not be very clear. Regards, Earl

Treeadapter002.jpg

Not a Tree mill but an R8 to Tree quick change adapter. I thought this photo might help as it's the same system that is used on the Tree mills. I have used this on a bunch of different mills over the years and never had a problem with the cutter moving on me. Very fast to change only bad thing is you lose some Z daylight. It also came with the adapter for the tree boring head.
Andy

One thing to beware of if you're not familiar with the Tree collet closer:

Overtightening the threaded collet retainer ring will allow the collet to close without the closer going into its detent, often without the collet springing open afterward.

An operator who's not familiar with the Tree system may well overtighten the retainer ring without realizing that the collet closer even has a detent, think that the collet is held closed by friction, pull the handle snug, and start working.

There might even be enough friction in the system to hold the collet closed through a week's worth of tool and collet changes . . . but sooner or later, a collet will spring open and spit out the cutter, usually in the middle of a heavy cut.

When someone else in the shop knows how to use the Tree collet closer correctly, that knowledge is passed along to the guy who just experienced the tool spitout. Sometimes no one in the shop knows how to use the Tree collet closer, and in that circumstance there are often several others who've experienced Tree tool spitout.

Which explains why so many small shops have (or had) a hardly-ever-used Tree pushed into a corner and covered in dust.

John

z collets

I'm not sure about the different sizes but I have around 50 of the size that fits the tree mill, have sold a bunch on screwbay over the years and have smaller and also bigger ones too that need to go.
Also have some of the bigger size holders.
I can check the size of the collet body to be sure it's the size you need and then get the hole sizes you need.
This all needs to go, all overstock, need the space.
Seal bid sale on 166 lots ending midnight (CST) August 3rd

machinery for sale pictures by dt38k - Photobucket
Any questions, contact me at [email protected]

If anyone is looking for Tree Mill Collets, please give me a call. We can make any type or size required.

Elaire Corporation - Tree Mill Collets

Hi ColletMaker
Thanks for posting that and welcome to PM. The universal Eng. Collets seem to be very common both new and used. What I would like to see is #30, #40 and #4 morse collets do you make any of these and if so how much? I have seen all three types but for some reason they are very very rare. Deckel style #4 morse and #40 collets can be had but they use an odd thread.
Thanks for any info about this
Andy

Back