What's new
What's new

Van norm 16 save

Raybmarlow

Cast Iron
d966b4bc82506623b505689402c1a043.jpg
87e6348adc892a8ce14cc4e221c72ae6.jpg
2c76ac8e0b8120343815d249d701f76a.jpg

Just saved this 16 from being destroyed , am quite thrilled to have brought it home , will be in need of a couple collets and or shell mill holders ... Anything advise ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have go research S/N to find out era of machine, but is in nice shape, a lot of scrape still showing

That would probably clean up nice if the stains bother you. Power Purple works pretty good or if you really want get medieval on it go to Home Depot and buy some ZEP floor stripper. Work small areas, both will strip paint when left to do its thing.

Nice machine! Only source of collets and other tooling is ebay now. You got the horizontal arbors and arbor support... that's the hard stuff to find. Shell mill arbors, slitting saw, endmill holders, etc... can be machined from cheap R-8 tooling pretty easily. Just have a handful to do while your lathe is set up and round up a woodruff cutter to cut the keyway on the face. You need to make an R-8 style drawbar and you'll need a bushing to go in the top of the spindle to hold the drawbar, but that's no big deal.

She cleaned up really nice using good old Zep products!! Remove all electric's and replaced with VFD's primarily for phase conversion and it runs nice, already started machining R8 holders to fit it, I'll fluid replaced and made my first cuts this weekend runs perfect. Previous owner tried to sell it and couldn't four months, obviously people were scared of the collet situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raybmarlow, Turning looking good. I assume you are using carbide. What brand R8 did you start with?
John

I found absolutely none of the R-8 tooling I modified to be hardened. Cut just as easily with HSS as with carbide. Collets probably are, but the shanks on the endmill holders, slitting saw arbors and such were not hard at all.

Toolsforcheap not around anymore from what I've found, and the 5V don't fit this , I bought a set because that's what everyone said,,,, wrong .....

The R8 I'm modifying has been case hardened at all different thickness...

The VN "C" collet is also known as the Hardinge 5V collet.

The VN "2" collet is also known as the Hardinge 50V collet.

The "C" (aka 5V) is smaller than the "2" (aka 50V).

Back