What's new
What's new

Van Norman 1R3, 1RQ3 manual and parts list/diagrams

thebencarter

Aluminum
Hi folks,

Last fall I joined the ranks of Van Norman owners when I brought home a plain (i.e. not universal) 1R3-22. I was fortunate to receive a high quality paper manual and parts list along with the machine, and since this manual seems to be missing from the Internet, I scanned it in high quality and put it together into two different quality PDFs. The 600dpi high quality manual is a beast at 83MB but has minimal JPEG compression - use this one if you need to review the parts diagrams in minute detail. The 150dpi low quality manual is only 20MB but is suitable for almost any purpose, including most parts diagram work.

The links below are from my Google Drive and should remain good for the foreseeable future. I am also working to get these on vintagemachinery.org but I'm having issues uploading the HQ version.

600dpi high quality manual (83MB)
150dpi low quality manual (20MB)

Be sure to save the PDF rather than looking at it via Google Drive - the Drive preview is not very good.

Hopefully fellow 1R series owners find these helpful.

Ben

There is also a manual section on this forum. Might want to post it there.

I have a universal table 1-R3-22 with metric leadscrews (yeah... wonder how many of THOSE were ever made??!!).

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up - I had completely missed the manual section. I'll post it there as well.

Your machine is certainly unique! I had read about how you brought it home only to discover the metric setup. While it would be way too much work to replicate the telescoping elevation screw, have you considered remaking the table and saddle screws from off the shelf 1"-5 Acme rod? I found Roton to have cheaply priced Acme ($13/ft) and while tolerance isn't listed on their website, I emailed them a while back and they quoted a respectable +-0.006"/ft. This is somewhere between the standard +-0.009" tolerance for cheap threaded rod and the super precise, but expensive Acme from Nook which is listed at +-3 tenths per foot but I was quoted $350 for 6 feet. Brass nuts are readily available or you can make them easily from Delrin. You could turn the markings off the dials and press on a sleeve, but remarking the dials would be tedious without access to a 4-axis CNC mill.

Of course, perhaps you have a DRO and this is all moot! A conversion seemed simple enough but writing it all down makes me think buying and installing a DRO is less painful all around.

Ben

I found Roton to have cheaply priced Acme
I would caution you against using Roton unless they are the ONLY place to get the screw you need. They are extremely unprofessional and HORRIBLE at customer service. I was basically told to go pound sand when my package with ACME nuts never showed up.

To add insult to injury, the reason they don't quote shipping on their website is because they over-inflate the shipping charges and break your items up into as many packages as possible (likely to rip you off even more on the shipping rates). IIRC, shipping for a 3 foot lead-screw and 2 nuts from Roton was over $70

CountryBoy,

Thanks for the heads up! These days it's easy to stand up a glossy website hiding the operation underneath, so it's important to know where NOT to shop to avoid hassle.

There are certainly some ready alternatives. MSC has a decent selection of reasonably priced Acme (tolerance +-0.009/ft) though if I were to spend the time to remake a screw for a machine, I'd probably just drop the cash for Nook's product to know I started with the best possible screw.

Ben

CountryBoy,

Thanks for the heads up! These days it's easy to stand up a glossy website hiding the operation underneath, so it's important to know where NOT to shop to avoid hassle.

There are certainly some ready alternatives. MSC has a decent selection of reasonably priced Acme (tolerance +-0.009/ft) though if I were to spend the time to remake a screw for a machine, I'd probably just drop the cash for Nook's product to know I started with the best possible screw.

Ben

I seem to recall a reputable company with very reasonable prices in Wisconsin (or possibly MN). I seem to recall they had "green" in their name but I'm not sure. I think I found out about them here on PM so maybe a little searching of the site would point you in the right direction?

I deal with metric parts and standard machines all day long at work and have for over 10 years. 25.4 is the magic number. I work on pumps now with both standard and metric seals and spent a few years on hydraulic parts with both standard and metric parts, so a lot of conversions are stuck in my head. I like it being so weird and wouldn't dare change it!

Back