What's new
What's new

Van Norman 2RQ

B Koons

Plastic
Hi, I have recently purchased another machine. I already have a K&T 2HL (without vertical or universal head), so I was looking for a heavier mill like the K&T that can be set to other angles and vertical as well. I am mainly looking for any information about this series of Van Norman as I am not able to find a whole lot out there. If anyone has one of these I would love to hear what lubricants you like to use on it. My machine has the desired quill, but instead of a 50 taper I only have a 30 taper. It came with some end mill holders, a few shell mill arbors, 1 horizontal arbor, and I lucked out and got both overarm supports with it too! I'm wondering what size face mill you guys recommend for a 30 taper spindle? I don't want to push it, even though the machine itself is a very rigid unit. I picked up an ER40 collet set for it and I am really liking it. My serial number is 3-34-3106-765. The guy said that 765 means it was Built in July of 1965. Does that sound right? It looks like it could be that old though the machine is in very good condition compared to most I look at. I would appreciate any input about this machine as I plan on keeping it and using it for years to come. Thanks, Brian

Hi, I have recently purchased another machine. I already have a K&T 2HL (without vertical or universal head), so I was looking for a heavier mill like the K&T that can be set to other angles and vertical as well. I am mainly looking for any information about this series of Van Norman as I am not able to find a whole lot out there. If anyone has one of these I would love to hear what lubricants you like to use on it. My machine has the desired quill, but instead of a 50 taper I only have a 30 taper. It came with some end mill holders, a few shell mill arbors, 1 horizontal arbor, and I lucked out and got both overarm supports with it too! I'm wondering what size face mill you guys recommend for a 30 taper spindle? I don't want to push it, even though the machine itself is a very rigid unit. I picked up an ER40 collet set for it and I am really liking it. My serial number is 3-34-3106-765. The guy said that 765 means it was Built in July of 1965. Does that sound right? It looks like it could be that old though the machine is in very good condition compared to most I look at. I would appreciate any input about this machine as I plan on keeping it and using it for years to come. Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian, I don't know much about " Van Norman" machines, not many made it over the pond but their reputation is of a builder of quality machines. If the machine has been looked after properly the fact that it was built in 1965 shouldn't put you off. In real machine tool terms that's not really " old ".

Regards Tyrone.

Pics?

The 1RQ-3-22 had a NMTB30 taper spindle, as well. I actually think the heads are the same on the 2RQ and the 1. 1R-3-22 had NMBT40, I have one of those. The 2 should have power feeds on all knee axes. Huge advantage over the 1. As for pulling power of the 30 taper tooling... you'll probably run out of hp before the tooling becomes an issue.

I'm a big VN fan. First real mill I ever ran was a little VN 6. I have owned a VN12, my current 1R-3-22 and also a VN2G bridge mill.

You have to go to " go advanced" on the post, lower right hand corner of the quick post box. It will then let you upload attachments that you can put in a post.

Back