What's new
What's new

Van Norman no 6 power feed?

alan speyrer

Stainless
Anybody ever add some type of power feed to a Van Norman no 6 mill? Doing a small milling job now, 5 hours down, just about another 11 hours to go!
Damn I wish I had a No 12 or 16 with power feed.

I considered adding powerfeed to the 6 at the museum. Only real option is a Servo type. Would work ok with endmills, but I doubt it would have enough torque to pull a horizontal cutter. I'd just look at it as an excuse to buy a 12, 16 or 1R-3!

Mike, what is the smallest Van Norman with table power feed in both directions? That's what I want.

I considered adding powerfeed to the 6 at the museum. Only real option is a Servo type. Would work ok with endmills, but I doubt it would have enough torque to pull a horizontal cutter. I'd just look at it as an excuse to buy a 12, 16 or 1R-3!

12 is the smallest, only VERY slightly larger than the 6, and uses the same tooling. Now, the 1R-3-22 really isn't a whole lot bigger and it's a MUCH better machine with a NMTB40 taper spindle. If you get real lucky, you might find the 1RQ-3-22 which has NMTB30 taper and a quill with power feed.

Mike I don't think a van Norman no 12 has power feed in the x and y axis. I would like a van Norman that has x and y axis power feed

QUOTE=Mike C.;2988786]12 is the smallest, only VERY slightly larger than the 6, and uses the same tooling. Now, the 1R-3-22 really isn't a whole lot bigger and it's a MUCH better machine with a NMTB40 taper spindle. If you get real lucky, you might find the 1RQ-3-22 which has NMTB30 taper and a quill with power feed.[/QUOTE]

It's true that the maximum distance between table an head in vertical position is not much more than the 12. However, we're talking about a ~3800lb machine.

Paolo

If you have the room for it you won't be disappointed. Not hard to move with a pallet jack and a tilt trailer. I've moved a 22L, K&T 2H, K&T 1CH and others with no fork lift. You can move up to around 4,000 pretty easy. Over that can get pretty hard to move around without help. The biggest flaw in most of the 22L's is the lack of a NMTB/NST spindle.

As matter of fact I do have two of them, one with NMTB-50 spindle. I've moved them myself and it wasn't a trivial move (i.e. lowering them from the second floor of an old brick building in the middle of Baltimore).
But you've said right: if you have the space... And, I'd add, if you're properly equipped to move something that size.

Paolo

Yup, to get power on more than the table, you have to step up to the 22L, at least. That brings you into a totally different class of machine. They have power on all three axes, but they are BIG and heavy. A 22L takes up about twice as much space as a #6. If you are looking into something that big, again... look at the 2R-5. More modern machine with the NMTB taper and power on all three axes. The 1R and 2Rs have a LOT more spindle to table clearance than the 6, 12 or 22. I have owned the 6, 12, 22L and now the 1R. except for lack of three axis powerfeed, the 1R is hands down the best machine. I can only imagine that the 2R would be even better.

Back