What's new
What's new

VN 12 Feed Mechanism

chiefaponte

Plastic
I recently purchased a VN that sat in a barn for a long time. I am going through the different parts and the feed mechanism does not have the silent chain arrangement. Instead it has a boston gear spur gear with an idler. The motor is missing the drive gear. I thought that it may be the feed mechanism for a VN16 but that used a timing belt type arrangement. I will try to post pics. Please let me know if this an upgrade and if you have any documentation, please share it. Thanks

Last edited:
I recently purchased a VN that sat in a barn for a long time. I am going through the different parts and the feed mechanism does not have the silent chain arrangement. Instead it has a boston gear spur gear with an idler. The motor is missing the drive gear. I thought that it may be the feed mechanism for a VN16 but that used a timing belt type arrangement. I will try to post pics. Please let me know if this an upgrade and if you have any documentation, please share it. Thanks
It's not an upgrade. Even the last iteration of the design still used the silent chain. I would look into replacing what you have toothed belt setup.

Cal

Thanks Cal.

I have two of the original chains but no gears.

Is the toothed belt design better? if so, what is the diameter of the original gears?

Thanks

Here's what the original silent chain drive looks like:
IMG_8935.jpg
(Sorry that the photo is rotated 90 degrees. The website doesn't correctly handle the photo's rotation flag.)

The gears have a special tooth design to work with the chain:
IMG_8947.jpg

I have no idea if you can buy new silent chain gears anywhere. Toothed belts and pulleys should be every bit as good, assuming you can get pulleys with the right number of slots. You can get the required pulley ratios by counting the teeth on the gears in the first photo.

Cal

Back