What's new
What's new

VN 2G Bridge Mill for sale, Southeast

Mike C.

Diamond
Something has to go to make room for the new arrival in May. Already posted my 1-R3-33, so also offering my 1970 manufacture Van Norman 2G Bridge Mill. This is a miniature planer mill. By miniature, I mean it's not as big as an Ingersoll with a 40ft wide table. It's still a 4,000lb machine. 3hp belt drive backgeared Bridgeport type head (very possibly an actual Bridgeport head, as they were just down the road) with 300 Kwik Switch spindle. Machine has been converted to ball screws on the X and Y axis with ABB VFDs on both axes and a nice control panel. 1/2hp on Y, 3/4hp on X. I had a friend with an engraving shop make up micrometer dial plates for it and made some crude indicator needles, but these can hold .001" if you can.

I have a pretty fair amount of KS30 tooling to go with it, including shell mill arbors, Weldon type holders, an ER-40 collet chuck with most common collet sizes and some Morse taper adapters for drilling. I'll throw in a Criterion boring head, but have no KS300 arbor for it.

Has a Bijur air oiler that lubes all sliding surfaces automatically and a Cool Mist coolant system built in (coolmist has no hoses, but reservoir and such is there).

Included is an X/Y Heidenhain DRO that I never got around to attaching, just needs new rubber curtains for the scales and installation (plenty of room for the scales).

Machine is 440v 3ph ONLY (due to the 440V ABB VFDs), but I will include a 15KVA step up transformer that I have been running it on for nearly 20 yrs.

I'll start at $1300 with tooling. If you don't need the tooling, I have an adapter to use the KS300 on my incoming machine, so that is negotiable. Will email detailed pics if interested. Offering here before posting in classifieds.

Attachments

• IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 226
Something has to go to make room for the new arrival in May. Already posted my 1-R3-33, so also offering my 1970 manufacture Van Norman 2G Bridge Mill. This is a miniature planer mill. By miniature, I mean it's not as big as an Ingersoll with a 40ft wide table. It's still a 4,000lb machine. 3hp belt drive backgeared Bridgeport type head (very possibly an actual Bridgeport head, as they were just down the road) with 300 Kwik Switch spindle. Machine has been converted to ball screws on the X and Y axis with ABB VFDs on both axes and a nice control panel. 1/2hp on Y, 3/4hp on X. I had a friend with an engraving shop make up micrometer dial plates for it and made some crude indicator needles, but these can hold .001" if you can.

I have a pretty fair amount of KS30 tooling to go with it, including shell mill arbors, Weldon type holders, an ER-40 collet chuck with most common collet sizes and some Morse taper adapters for drilling. I'll throw in a Criterion boring head, but have no KS300 arbor for it.

Has a Bijur air oiler that lubes all sliding surfaces automatically and a Cool Mist coolant system built in (coolmist has no hoses, but reservoir and such is there).

Included is an X/Y Heidenhain DRO that I never got around to attaching, just needs new rubber curtains for the scales and installation (plenty of room for the scales).

Machine is 440v 3ph ONLY (due to the 440V ABB VFDs), but I will include a 15KVA step up transformer that I have been running it on for nearly 20 yrs.

I'll start at $1300 with tooling. If you don't need the tooling, I have an adapter to use the KS300 on my incoming machine, so that is negotiable. Will email detailed pics if interested. Offering here before posting in classifieds.
What are X&Y and footprint?
thanks jim

drylakemachine, footprint for machine and working are is about 9x6 and it's 8ft tall with the head all the way up. It eats up a LOT of shop floor. Table is 16x37" and the travel allows the spindle to nearly center the edges in both directions. Huge work envelope.

Tyrone, incoming is JB Bergman's Van Norman 2RQ-3-28. Slightly more travel than my 1R-3-22, but with three axis feed on the knee and the powerfeed quill on the head.

so thats a production machine , with only the quill and/or table risers to move the Z spindle depth.

VN was also Kempsmith and non-spain Lagun .... that machine looks familiar, but i can't place it.

No, not a production machine. Some came with a powerfeed quill, but not this one. Originally, it would have had X axis-only powerfeed from a gearbox under the table identical to the box used on the 1R machines. Handwheel came out the side of the base right beside the left hand column, so the base mounted wheel moved the table. Another handwheel was on the rail about eye level attached to the end of the rail leadscrew. It's a different way to do things, typical VN, the machine just never had a chance to catch on. It's an acceptable milling machine for general work, but its real forte is planing, of course. Welded a cracked Nissan head and planed it off with a big facemill a few years ago. Fantastic results.

It's not a Kempsmith or Lagun. It's a 1970 Springfield, MA made Van Norman.

Back