What's new
What's new

VN12 starting issues

chiefaponte

Plastic
I have a VN12 that runs of a static frequency converter. The original control box has a master switch that kills power to all the loads. My machine is wired by hooking the converter output to the line side of the master breaker. In order to start my machine I have to open and close the master before pushing the start button otherwise the motor does not start. Everytime I open the master switch, a single click comes from the phase converter.I have two start/stop stations, one on the control panel and the other is a remote one(three wire start/stop PB's) is this normal?

Thanks

I would have to have more details on how this is wired up. Also, be aware that there is no standard control wiring for a Van Norman No. 12. In fact, I don't think that I've seen two of them that used the same control panel. In some of cases, the machines shipped from the factory with no controls and the end-user wired up the motor, etc.

A general problem with VFDs and RPCs has to do with which two phases the coil circuit, that operates the control panel's relays, is connected to. Swapping phases around sometimes fixes the problem, but it depends on what's going on.

Cal

Back