What's new
What's new

weight of Cinncy-Gilbert radial drill press?

swellwelder

Stainless
I just purchased the above drill press and the seller has no idea of weight, and I guess I don't either, so here are the details. It is an eight inch column, and a 4 ft arm. It has a 5 hp motor and an approx. 24" by 30" tombstone. As radial arm drill presses go this is a small one, but it will fit in well in my shop.

So, anyone with any info on the weight?

Dale

If its an older model probably around 10-12K.

Moved the one at work.... Cincinnati / Brickford super service 4' radial arm & #5 Morse taper, damn thing weighs 13k.

I'll have to measure the post OD, but I think it's close to the same size.

I'd put it at 5000 to 6000 lb. I have a 3 foot 9 inch American made in the mid 50's and it weighs 6000 without the tilting box table.

I'd say minimum 6,000 and go prepared for 10,000. Radial drills are extremely deceptively heavy for their size. My 1920s Fosdick has a 4ft arm and 11" column. It's every bit of 3 tons, and maybe more, and it's a small one. You are probably aware of how tricky they are to rig, lift and move without tipping over, but I'll put in a word of cautiON, anyway. My least favorite machine to transport in any way.

8 inch column seems small for a 4' arm. I have 3' 9 inch Jet radial and it's pretty light, maybe 3000 lbs. Great for quick setups, but not very rigid.

I'll add this: put tombstone under the arm towards the outer ends of the large part of the base, align the arm to the largest part of the base, put blocks under arm and on top of tombstone, run the spindle assembly all the way out and close to the block clamp it and use wedges.

Strap arm to tombstone assembly

From the manual for a Brickford..............Lifting is done close to the column using a strap...... You will need to make sure not to damage any shafting on the back of the arm.

If using skates to move it across the floor, I recommend using 3, My coworker used 4 it was a PITA, on an uneven floor..

We have moved our 4' arm 9" column drill with a 5k forklift,,, sliding it, we have picked it with an 8k- it was all it wanted. I will say it depends some on the cube.... but always be wary of load shifting- those things can get away from one in a hurry, but again, things always go wrong much faster than they go right for some reason.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. My swag was around 6,000lbs, but like always, it's best to prepare like it weighs more than it possibly could! The machine is not hooked up to electric, so dunno if the arm can be moved down manually? At any rate I will bring more than enough straps, chains and binders to make sure of no surprises.

Dale

I would take some 4 x 4 for cribbing, a saw (sawzall), and whatever else I needed to build cribbing under the head. If you can't cut your cribbing to proper length so it will carry a load, cut wedges and shim it tight like installing a door frame. If the arm isn't cribbed solid you can't put a solid strap over the top to insure the arm won't rotate.

When I moved mine I instructed the seller to remove the box table and run the head down on wood cribbing before disconnecting power. I took an assortment of large tee nuts and hoist rings. I used the hoist rings in the tee nuts for anchor points for a ratchet strap with wire hook ends to insure the arm couldn't rotate in the event the column lock wasn't sufficiently solid.

Never heard of a an 8 inch column Cincinnati Gilbert. Cincinnati Bickford had a 7-1/2 inch column machine. Weights on radials are all over the place which can get folks in trouble. Cincinnati tends to be lighter same with Morris. Carlton are heavier yet and American radials are massive.

I could be off on the diam of the column. It sits in a rather dark part of the building and didn't have anything to get the actual size of column

Thanks again for the useful info

Dale

I have the cincy-gilbert up and running now, but was hoping someone could set me on the path of finding a manual for it? There are a few questions I have which a good manual should have the answers to I hope!
Maybe if someone has one of these drill presses could answer this one On the left side of the gear box/ quill there is a lever that pivots on a horizontal shaft. Is this a gearbox lock, or is it a rapid for moving said gearbox left and right?

Dale

Pic? The old WWII Cincy at the chrome shop had a power lever on the left side of the spindle, plus a twist throttle switch on the right side for tapping.

Back