What's new
What's new

Well, they're loading the truck this weekend...new to me KT on it's way.

Miguels244

Diamond
So, I finally pulled the trigger...the vert head and all three overarm supports were the kicker.
Milwaukee Kearney Trecker Horizontal Vertical Milling Machine | eBay

Now to start tooling up.
Silly question time.

I think this is NMTB 50...Yes?

I figure a vise and a clamp set, perhaps an miteebite set too.
Parallels.
A long tool holder.
A short tool holder.
TG or ER collets? 100 or 150?
A shell mill holder...how many different sizes of those are there?
It has an arbor, how many different diameters of these do I have to worry about?
Should I worry about getting another size right off?

What else should I look for to get it up and running.
A sine plate?
Spin indexer?
Rotary table?

:):):):):):):):)

This looks like a 2k, I have one as well. Yes its nmtb 50. There are 3 or 4 sizes of arbors, and shell mills as well. A drill chuck is nice also. I have also looked into finding a 50 adapter with a chuck on it for jobs that are too big to swing in my lathe.

I would be very interested in some pics or measurements of the vertical head crane, if you wouldn't mind. I have a vertical head and its a pain to lug around.

Nice lookin machine! good assortment of stuff..

You can even tell us the actual serial when it gets there. We know it isn't 4073:D

They sold power feed rotabs to go with these - uses a gear box that goes on end of table

If you would like a manual, PM your email address. Vintage Machinery . org may have a better one

A sine plate?
Spin indexer?

For your surface grinder when you get it.

Not especially useful on the 6500 Lb 2K

Well, probably, now it's too late... However, make sure that the gear that couples the vertical head with the spindle is there. Otherwise the vertical head will be just a nice ornament.

Paolo

What were the shipping charges? Im always tempted to purchase a machine off of ebay but it seems as though the shipping would be as much or more than the purchase price of the machine.

I'd tool it up with the basics, vice, drill chuck (I like using a NMTB-MT taper adapter and then a drill chuck with a MT tail from a lathe), endmill holders, etc. Haven't used one yet, but I've always thought an angle plate would be nice on a horizontal.

And then buy what you need as you need it or as you see it for sale cheap.

Its what I'm doing with my mills

Last edited:
What were the shipping charges? Im always tempted to purchase a machine off of ebay but it seems as though the shipping would be as much or more than the purchase price of the machine.

I'll let you know.
I'm staging through a rigger so I can ship several pieces at once.

Stupid question #2.
CAT 50 will fit NMTB 50 except for the draw bar length right?
BT has metric threading, right?

What's the point of the straight portion of tat the end of the taper on an NMTB?

What's the point of the straight portion of tat the end of the taper on an NMTB?

Part of the standard that the National Machine Tool Builders Association came up with.

I fully expect they were trying to accommodate at least SOME of the hundreds of thousands of B&S taper arbors (in an adapter) folks wanted to use. These were long enough to need that depth.

Well, probably, now it's too late... However, make sure that the gear that couples the vertical head with the spindle is there. Otherwise the vertical head will be just a nice ornament.

Paolo

Yep seems they are usually missing .. The one for that head as the others are a real PIA to make too.. Ramsay 1:)

You may or may not need a gear for your vertical head. The vertical head I found for my 2K just fits to the CAT50 and is driven by the dogs. No gear required.

Just as a point of information, the only oil leaks I have are around the site glasses. There are two leak points: through the threads of the screws, and the rubber seal that is compressed by the sight glass. Use sealant on the screws and a slightly thicker sight glass so that the rubber is compressed a bit more.

Here's the serial number finally...4075
Now to have them deliver it.
You really could turn a bport into swarf with that.

IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Back