What's new
What's new

What's a functional-but-ugly Cincinnati 2-24 horizontal mill worth? Anyone used one?

gavingear

Aluminum
Looking at a Cincinnati 2-24 production horizontal mill, kind of like this one, but it needs paint badly. :)

2-24 Cincinnati Plain Automatic Production Mill (12) - Mal Machinery

Wondering if anyone has used one, and what a machine like this would be worth- assuming all basic tooling intact, and ugly-but-functional.

Also- what do you want to check for in a machine like this one? Weight is listed as 4600lb - sound right?

Thanks!!!!

No expert on this but looks like table only goes left right. Has no knee travel and no vertical head. Have a very similar sized Cincinnati that has all movements. Very strong machine.

Like the ad says, PRODUCTION mill - made exclusively for making the same cut on the same part for years if needed - zero handiness / versatility and cheapest sort of mechanism - like change gears for feeds / spindle speeds

Its worth is what the scrap man would pay if it was dragged across his scales

Thanks everyone- It may be suitable for a repetitive machining task I have- but I hear you all about the value- the price would have to be "real low". Thanks for the input!

C - Mike

Looking at a Cincinnati 2-24 production horizontal mill, kind of like this one, but it needs paint badly. :)

2-24 Cincinnati Plain Automatic Production Mill (125) - Mal Machinery

Wondering if anyone has used one, and what a machine like this would be worth- assuming all basic tooling intact, and ugly-but-functional.

Also- what do you want to check for in a machine like this one? Weight is listed as 4600lb - sound right?

Thanks!!!!
They are use for running small parts. Gun makers have them or powermatic's. Its a 1942 born date.

This is somewhat in nature as the 08 Cincinnati.. I had a vertical and it was the first mill I ever owned... I got it pretty cheap but right off the bat I could see that it had zero or very little use in anything other than a production environment.. Very rigid but very limited X and Y movement and the only Z axis on that little vertical I had is the quill feed....As with the horizontal, I would pass on it and look for something more flexible for use in my shop....Ramsay 1:)

Good advice- I didn’t realize how limited the movements were for the table on this machine and I could actually use more than 24 inches of table travel…

Good advice- I didn’t realize how limited the movements were for the table on this machine and I could actually use more than 24 inches of table travel…

You will instantly realize how limited movements are if you buy one and try to use it for everyday milling.. Don't ask me how I know this.. Ramsay 1:)

Hello,
I don't know how much movement gavingear desires, but this machine does appear to have some.
The table does not have Y-axis in/out travel, but the cutter head has what appears to be more than a foot of dovetail overhanging the back of the machine and perhaps 4 inches hanging out front.
As for the table being a fixed bed instead of rising knee, the front view shows a surfaced plate with some of the rust scuffed off it. Does the spindle casting not rise & fall relative to that plate?
With table traverse, this would give the machine 3 axes of movement.

I don't know where the handles are located for these movements. Perhaps they are not convenient for hobby or prototype use as to make a translation while a cut is in progress. It may be that the movements are to be made before the cutting starts, and then simply stand back and let the machine make a predetermined cut.
I am only guessing at that part of it.

Brian

Back