What's new
What's new

Where to find the serial number on an older Leblond lathe

Jeremy

Hot Rolled
I'm picking up a 17X60 Leblond Regal lathe that looks similar to this. Roughly how much does it weigh, and where do I look to find the serial number on it?

Front3s.jpg

The serial number should be located at the tailstock end, on the web between front and rear ways.
Weight? I'd estimate ~2000-2400lb. I've got mine in pieces and haven't weighted them singularly. However, my Kubota 2320 was able to pick them up rather easily lifting the whole bed with more ease than the ram/head assembly of mt VN 22L (900lb) and that was the heaviest piece. Saddle, apron, gearbox weigh less than 200lb each. Pedestals, probably in the 300lb neighborhood each. Headstock, probably 4-500lb at most.

Paolo

Found the serial number just as you guys said. Crossbar under the tail stock. The serial number is D10050. Can you guys date it for me?

The fellow put a single phase 2HP motor on it and says it has plenty of power, but he thinks he has the original 3 phase motor as well that I would like to rebuild and put back on it being as how I have 3 phase power available.

The only pix I could get. It's well packed into a storage unit currently.
leblond_4.jpg

leblond_3.jpg

Well, she finally rolled into the shop yesterday.

1948_leblond_17x60.jpg

Overall, it's in pretty good shape. Not much wear on the ways, light surface rust on things like the chuck (from sitting in storage for so long). Came with a hydraulic Duplomatic tracing attachment. I haven't ever seen one before, but it's interesting to see how it works. I assume it has a hydraulic motor tied to a ball screw of some sort to be able to control the cutting tool precisely. I plan on giving the tracer a whirl just to see how it works.

The PO had the lathe on a big dolly he built, and made loading and unloading trivial. It currently has a 2HP industrial grade GE 1PH motor on it. Huge sucker for its HP rating.

The lathe doesn't appear to have a clutch on it, so I take it that it just spins up from motor start like my smaller Rockwell lathe.

So what HP motor should it really have to be able to run it to its max capacity while turning? 3HP? 5HP?

Personally, I think that anything above 3HP would be overkill for this machine. And, probably, would be rather rare the occasions you'd complain for lack of power with a 2HP motor, especially if you machine mostly pieces less than 4-5" in diameter.

Paolo

Back