What's new
What's new

'08 Doosan MV 3016 4th axis user install? Control parameters

50BMG DUDE

Cast Iron
Bought a very nice '08 Doosan MV3016 Fanuc series i control with alpha drives. I need to add a 4th axis table to it (full 4th - not an indexer) I have a Nikken table that will work perfectly with a Fanuc A06B-0313-B031 motor on it. I have a spare M Code relay available in the machine use for clamp/unclamp solenoid.

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to add the drive and interface to the machine? I'm pretty handy with electronics and think I can do it myself. I'm sure I can cable the drive and table assembly, just need to know what to do as far as the control goes. My local Doosan dealer is more interested in selling me a complete new table/drive package and doesn't want to help part out the pieces I need.

So - I need to know

A) What drive should I use that is compatible with the motor/machine setup - Machine has aiSV 80 # A06B-6114-H105 for the Z axis and a H209 for the X/Y axis. I'm pretty sure Doosan uses a smaller drive for the 4th axis though?
B) I believe the C axis is just turned on in the control with a parameter correct? If so which ones? I know I need to set parameters for encoder count, drive ratios etc. I'm willing to pay my local dealer to come out and set this up if I can just get the hardware side lined up.
C) connecting the drive to the controls? I think this is just a fiber optic jumper and wire jumper from the Z axis drive correct?
D) I believe that factory installs normally have a 4th axis ignore switch on the panel for when the table is not installed. This is not a big deal if I can enable/disable with a parameter. The table will normally be in the machine.

Thanks for reading and any help some of you knoweledgable guys can give.

Chris

Last edited:
Hoping somebody that know Fanucs can help me out - OR someone with a similar machine. I don't know the Doosan Community in the Phoenix area very well as this is my first Doosan machine. New dealer as well.

I think its like anything dealers just want to make cash off you, like we can sell you a new setup at 20,000 but we don't know anything about helping you with a used setup. Their maybe some out there not like this but???? Lots of very smart fanuc guys on here!!!!

Bought a very nice '08 Doosan MV3016 Fanuc series i control with alpha drives. I need to add a 4th axis table to it (full 4th - not an indexer) I have a Nikken table that will work perfectly with a Fanuc A06B-0075-B203 motor on it. I have a spare M Code relay available in the machine use for clamp/unclamp solenoid.

You'll need to wire the clamp/unclamp into the circuitry designated by Doosan for 4th axis clamp/unclamp. If they have done their ladder properly it will then interlock the drive while the table is clamped. If you just use a general purpose M-code for clamp/unclamp I can pretty much guarantee that somewhere down the road someone will try running the 4th axis while it is clamped. Often a builder will write the ladder such that a keep relay must be turned on to activate the M-code for 4th axis use. Easy to find if you have a ladder diagram for the machine

You will need some Fanuc options to add a 4th axis and make good use of it. Depending on how your control was configured from Doosan (I'm guessing it is a 21iM) and what you are going to do with it, you will need some, if not all of the following.

Additional axis control.
Controlled axes expansion.
Inverse time feed.
Cylindrical interpolation.

Fanuc options are parameter enabled. Not all firmware versions support all options. Activating an option that is not supported by the firmware version installed usually causes the control to crash. Recovery from that requires initializing the control and reloading all the control data. Be sure to do a complete SRAM backup prior to doing any of this work.

The motor number you posted does not show up in my manual of alpha series motors. My manual is from the initial release of the alpha series motors and drives so it may be that your motor is not an alpha series or it was introduced after my manual was published.

If your motor is not an alpha series you may not be able to connect it with an alpha drive. There is a note after the last table for motor/drive combinations that states

"1. If a motor is used in a combination other than those listed
above, it will be broken, except for the C series servo
amplifier. Contact FANUC for more information."

I don't know what the issue is, but keep this in mind.

Sorry, I typed in the wrong number for the motor - I edited my OP - the correct motor number is A06B-0313-B031

What does the Inverse time feed and Cylinder interp options do? - I need to cut extraction cams, I just do it with a X/C (G1 X-.25 C45.00 F300.) move on my Matsurra and Milltronics machines. My other machines need to be programmed in degrees per min hence the F300.0 If not for these parts I would just go with a Haas HRT160 on it and be done with it.

Thanks!

Chris

That motor is not an alpha series, just an older AC digital servo model 0s. My manual shows the drive for that motor as an A06B-6058-H004 for 2000rpm applications and an A06B-6058-H005 for 3000rpm applications.

I do not think those drives are compatible with your control. They do not use the FSSB fiber data bus that your other servos are connected with. I took a quick look through the 21i connections manual and do not see any provision for using drives other than alpha series (or beta series with addition of Fanuc I/O Link and PMM module).

Seems you will need to replace the motor on the 4th with an alpha motor and get an alpha drive.

Inverse time feed is a mode where the move is completed in a time value defined by the F address. Most CAM software is set up to output rotary contouring moves this way.

Cylindrical interpolation allows you to program the 4th similar a linear axis. This allows circular moves of a linear and rotary axis to be programmed easily. Really nice for cam profiles.

VancBiker - Thanks for the responses -

I spoke with Fanuc and found a motor/drive combo. But just out of curiosity can you tell me if a A06B-0223-B000 motor will work with a A06b-6114-H104 Drive? The tech didn't seam real sure with his answers. There is also a A06B-6117-H104 drive, and he could not tell me the difference.

I need a friggin' Motor-Drive combo that will work with my Alpha SV80 series on my Oi control - Nikken gave me the motor number, but couldn't tell me if it would work with my existing drives (A06B-6114-H104 or H105)

I really would like to pin this down to something solid with a knowledgable person's help. If I pop for a drive/motor combo that won't work with my control I'm out the cash...

Thanks for any help~!

Chris R

Sorry, neither of the numbers that Fanuc gave you show up in my Alpha series descriptions manuals. Mine are from the initial release of the Alpha series which was quite a while ago. They probably revised the family and part numbers so I'm not too surprised. If the Fanuc tech gave you a motor number and drive number combo, I'd think they would work with each other.

The next question is whether the motor shaft detail matches what you have on the Nikken table. Standard for Fanuc is a tapered shaft with key. Optional is a straight shaft or straight with key.

The B000 in the part number designates motor shaft and encoder type. B0__ means a tapered shaft. B_00 Describes encoder type. I don't think 00 is a valid number or possibly means no encoder, in which case you would have to install one. It used to be that you had to know the drive ratio from the motor to table to determine the pulses per rev of the encoder. On the newer controls the flexible feed gear parameters can be set to use pretty much anything. I believe that a Fanuc applications engineer would be able to point you to the correct encoder option.

Vanc,

Thanks for taking the time to look into it for me! I'm going to do some more digging before I buy anything. I've been in this business long enough to know that when someone seems unsure about something, they're probably guessing. That tech was not very sure of his answers, and he's guessing with my money!

Are you in the repair business? if so please PM me some contact info as I can always use a knowledgable repair guy.

Thanks again

Chris

...Are you in the repair business? if so please PM me some contact info as I can always use a knowledgable repair guy.

I used to be, but am "retired" now. I still help a few local shops keep their oldie, but goodie CNCs running and have a small shop (1 Mori Seiki and a few manual machines) in the backyard to make the occasional part for toy projects.

Back