What's new
What's new

kennametal tooling

jprobst

Cast Iron
when my boss bought our new haas vf-2 he got a tooling certificate with kennametal. we have about $1300 left on it and i really wanted to get some indexable end mill type tooling, i have four of there catalogues and its quite stressful. i'm still fairly new to this new and advanced equipment, could someone recommend what type to get? i mainly run .375,.5,.625 type endmills on 6061 aluminum making custom sandrail parts or making jigs to drill holes in the 1000 different parts for our customers. i don't want to blow it and buy a bunch of crap i don't need, i could use a chamfer mill, center cutting mill, a nice face mill(2.0) and so fourth, but there are so many options, (lead in, 0 degree, 30 degreee,positive 0 degree lead -in, its very confusing. any input would greatly be appreciated, thanks

Some time the cataloguew are a real maze to look through. Get a Kennametel technical Rep to come and see you. Show him and explain the type of work you do and he/she should have some very good recomendations on cutter type.

Any of the good tech reps I have delt with know there product like the back of there hand. I think they memorize the entire inventory, its almost scary.

I would say go for 0 degrees lead for square shoulders with positve inserts.

KC5410 Is a great grade for turning Alum but im not sure if it is a milling grade. They will have some alum specific grade insterts that will be the best bet.

thanks, yeah my tooloing rep will be here tues, i just didn't want to look like a dumb@#$. i'm running a $60,000 machine and yet have no idea when it comes to stuff like this,

After years of doing this work, I am still a dumb@$$. The only difference now is I am a smart enough dumb@$$ to know when to ask for help!

The tool reps are schooled on all the new stuff. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger we all have to ask for help.

I just wish theyed get off the assets and git my daggum orders shipped the same day so that I can git my tools the next day in a 1 day zone!

I am die hard K-metal - but I am gitting tired of them not haveing time to git their bloody orders out the door!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Kennametal blew it here too.Took them weeks to deliver stock tools.Now buy from WNT who are part of Cerratizit.Orders placed before 6.30pm are here by 9.30am the next morning from Germany without fail and at no extra cost.
Mark.

call the number for applications (located in the catalog) explain to them what you are doing and they will help you get set up.

between the lathe catalog and milling etc... it does get a bit confusing but those of us that use tools like these it makes sense.

bad dog

OX:

A little inside information on the K-Metal distribution. An old neighbor of mine (I've moved within the last month) just retired from the K-metal distribution center in Cleveland. He would always complain about the lack of hands. He worked overtime, and said that they were ALWAYS behind. He used to give me the business because I would brag about my new Sandvik tool. The lead time sucks even if you are 10 miles from them, let alone just within 1 zone.

Ya gotta love Kennametals' numbering systems. I'm sure this is a number for one of their inserts:

dlklprkjeeijjpskjpoijgoigaoiehOIAHJIOLLKdkfdffklasn-
kskosoi23885489539397747932784.

And that doesn't even include the grade.

I had one gurly in Cleveland that used to be able to git me my stuff the next day. ... They just closed the sales office in Cleveland. Now my call goes into Windsor ..... Conneticut! Ontario would be a LOT closer! Aint nobody there gunna pull me no strings @ the shipping depot in Cleveland. Heck - they prolly aint even really sure where Clevelend is beyond their local airport. !!!

They go as far as having the most complete cutting tools of anyone anywhere available. Stock them all pretty good. Advertise like it's going outta style... and then kant git/keep enough help in the afternoons to make the Brown truck in a timely manner! I have had 10:30AM orders not git out 'till the late truck! (Oh - but they say it went out yesterday - I don't know what happened @ UPS?)

BS! The Brown initial scan is 1:00AM! Not 6PM the night before!

So much for trying to buy American. If I doo and need it - It's gunna cost me another $20 for NDA b/c they kant finger out how to git their orders out like everyone has managed to doo. The feller runnin' the show must have a Major in "Business" and gone to a mess'a seminars telling how to doo it. !#$^(* MORONS!

BTW - I red labeled some inserts that were sposed to have shipped today (back ordered for a cpl days) and had them shipped red so I don't run out for the weekend. ... and then in comes a package that I ordered yesterday w/o saying a werd. ??? The one that I ordered earlier in the week that I put up a fuss aboot with Windsor aboot git'n out the bloody door didn't show up for two days. I don't git it?

So - how was your day?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

jprobst,

(Isn't Jeff Probst that guy from Survivor?)

Take the time to educate yourself on the catalogs offerings. Also educate yourself on standard ANSI numbering system (if you aren't already). ANSI numbering usually does not apply to milling tools as most of those are proprietary to the manufacturer nowadays.

It's easy to just ask the rep to make his suggestions but that can end up being a one sided conversation...then you buy things that still may not be what you wanted. I know those catalogs look daunting at first....but if you get it figured out you'll be able to have a better discussion with your tooling rep...and you'll make a better decision on your tools.

Study the grades, chipbreakers, tool holders available for the insert, shank styles, etc... You'll come out better ahead if you take the time to do this.
Don't be afraid to ask for trial tooling. I don't know if that works in a small shop...I work in a large shop and get free tools to try all the time.

A quick note on the Kennametal slow shipping. Just order it from J&L, if they have it in stock, they will ship it that day. If its an odd one that has to come straight from Kennametal, it does take forever, but if its something you are going to use or a cutter body that J&L doesn't stock, order a bunch of them, then send what you don't need back to J&L, and then all of a sudden J&L will have them in stock, and you won't have to pay for them until you need them.

I figured this out when we ordered 2 cutter bodies and the owner blew a nut, sent one back to J&L and it was in stock and on the doorstep the next morning when we needed it 3 months later.

Kennametal had a decent 5/8" NGE inserted Emill with two inserts. While there are better inserted mills on the market, I have had alot of luck with a variety of materials (varying grades and corner radius) with this mill. As for the Face mills, I prefer the 45 deg lead for my 6061 applications with a high rake insert. The aluminum grades made by Kennametal are very capable at high speeds and feeds. - I hope this helps

BobW - LOL!

I like those 45* cutter bodys too. I have heard guys that run alum like them too.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Dave K you hit the nail on the head with that one!!! BobW j&l is a rip off!!! I was ordering some 55 degree parallelogram nrp 505 kc5025 from them they were in the 14.00 to 15.00 dollar range. I called a friend of mine from fleetwood ind. supply 10.05 a piece. About 4 bucks cheaper. I know sometimes you have to order from them because if they do you have it stock you do get it fast. But they are expensive!!!!

I have never had much trouble with Kennametal delivery, its usually just as quick as anywear else. In my experience anyway, but still a lot of cost for most of it.

Back