What's new
What's new

Coolant Concentration

hesstool

Stainless
Last week an Emuge technician told me to run my coolant concentration at 10% while using their tread forming tap in the Incoloy that I'm machining right now. I thought this was a little excessive since I currently keep it about 5%.

I'm curious to know what concentration some of you are running in your machines.

I run a variety of materials from nylon to titanium and most stuff between...I run 10% all the time. I know that 3-4% is fine for mild steels and other stuff, but I rarely have large runs of parts. Staying at 10% works because I may run 12L14 and 316 stainless in the same day on the same machine. When I was in a specialty grind shop, I ran inconel at 12%. The coolant tank was a 40 yard dumpster and I would add 55 gallons of coolant at a time...talk about pricey!! You need good lube and cool temps for those super alloys.

I like running higher than 5%. Any lower and it seems to start stinkin' faster

I would say it depends on the brand of coolant you're using. They're the ones who manufacture the stuff, so they would be the natural people to ask what the concentration should be. However, I think you can always run a little lighter than what they say, because since they sell the stuff, they want you to run out faster so you'll buy some more.

Back