Mazatrol Conversional To EIA Format

ggborgen

Aluminum
HI Everybody
Is there an easy way to change a program written in Mazatrol Conversional
to Fanuc EIA (G and M code) Format. I will be getting some Mazak HMC
and they have programs in them they want me to run, but they are in that
Mazatrol Format. I'm not a big fan of conversional programming and I want
to turn the mazatrol format into the universal language of G and M code.
Thank You
:argue:

I did see a software product advertised in a trade mag not long ago... it's basically a CAM program that displays the Mazatrol format on a PC, and then posts the data as G code. I think, though, that it's more designed to allow programmers who know Mazatrol really well to program offline and run simulations. It probably wouldn't be real cost effective if all you plan to do with it is convert a few existing programs. Still, I'll see if I can dig up the advertisement and get you the name of the product, if one of these guys doesn't beat me to it.

One of them that can convert this is MazaCam .

The machine control itself can output translations to standard G code however it is an OPTION and not a very popular one.

The thing of it is though... these aren't "cheap" systems for how you're intending on using it. If you have a Mazak to run it on, I'd just leave it in Mazatrol if your source is insistent on using they're programs. Otherwise, program the part on your CAD.

Even 3-digit G-code output isn't standard code so that wouldn't help you much either.

if its simple parts and only a few programs, write them yourself. Beware, mazatrol had low memory in early years, you could stuff morer mazatrol programs in em than g code.

If you take a little time and learn the Mazatrol system, you will throw rocks at G and M code programming.

I worked at a shop for several years that had Mazaks, and after a week at school and two weeks on the machine, I no longer wanted anything to do with G and M code machines, especially on a Fanuc. Fanuc though the universal control, has to has to be the worst control ever put on a machine.

Mazak is to Fanuc what Apple is to PC. Given my choice, I would do everything on a Apple.

Griffo Brothers makes a Cam software for the Mazak. Whether ot will do G code or not, I don't know. You can find them at http://www.griffobros.com/

Last edited:
If you take a little time and learn the Mazatrol system, you will throw rocks at G and M code programming.

I worked at a shop for several years that had Mazaks, and after a week at school and two weeks on the machine, I no longer wanted anything to do with G and M code machines, especially on a Fanuc. Fanuc though the universal control, has to has to be the worst control ever put on a machine.

Mazak is to Fanuc what Apple is to PC. Given my choice, I would do everything on a Apple.

Griffo Brothers makes a Cam software for the Mazak. Whether ot will do G code or not, I don't know. You can find them at http://www.griffobros.com/

The fact you would prefer apple over PC is a good reason to not listen to you. lol. I'm kidding. I use mazatrol as well as eia on more advanced parts. For basic 2D stuff, the mazatrol is definitely a better choice. Its much faster to program and so much easier. I tend to only use g code if I have either a 3D model or a really long program in which my memory runs out on mazatrol. otherwise, always mazatrol. As for your original question, I don't know of any programs to such thing, sorry.

I was thrown in the deep end of the pool a couple of years ago with 3 New Mazak Lathes running Mazatrol only.

I too wanted to run G-Code as I had used it for years on many different controls.

I was told then that the Mazaks will run EIA or Mazatrol, But not both.

So all the programs had to be one or the other.

Well being that there were already 100 or so programs written for each machine in Mazatrol I had to learn it from reading the Manuals. Not an easy thing for somebody with no clue about mazaks.

I bought the MazaCAM package from Solution ware and it turns your PC into the Mazak Control. This was an awesome step up for me.

I was able to program offline and prove out the code on my PC.

Give them a call, I think you will like life again.

Take a look at the software online and see what I mean.

Good Luck

Mohawk

I was thrown in the deep end of the pool a couple of years ago with 3 New Mazak Lathes running Mazatrol only.

I too wanted to run G-Code as I had used it for years on many different controls.

I was told then that the Mazaks will run EIA or Mazatrol, But not both.

So all the programs had to be one or the other.

Well being that there were already 100 or so programs written for each machine in Mazatrol I had to learn it from reading the Manuals. Not an easy thing for somebody with no clue about mazaks.

I bought the MazaCAM package from Solution ware and it turns your PC into the Mazak Control. This was an awesome step up for me.

I was able to program offline and prove out the code on my PC.

Give them a call, I think you will like life again.

Take a look at the software online and see what I mean.

Good Luck

Mohawk

The newer controls accept BOTH eia and mazatrol. I use the mazatrol and sometimes sub into an eia program then back to mazatrol.

.... older controls did to if you optioned for it. Some machine models came with both anyway as a standard. Only the very oldest controls were often only one way or another.

I think Ggboren's point wasn't whether he could or couldn't ... but that he didn't want to and therefore was looking into a converter....

I know this might come as a surprise to everybody, but we still program
by hand and /or at the control, so we have no cad system to fall back on.
:reading:

No Surprise here,

Programming by hand is the norm on some of our controls.

Plus, we just junked 6 Mazak T4 Lathes that no Cad Cam would work on, That had to be hand programmed at the control.

I was really glad to see those go Bye Bye.

The problem with hand programming at the control,
(Besides your arms feel like they are going to fall off)
1. Is you interrupt production to program the part.
2. Then when the stock hits the machine, You have to prove out the program and this may be weeks after you programmed the part so you have to get your head around the part once again.
3. After program is proven you again have to step in and optimize the program.

This can be accomplished all at once on an offline package (To an Extent).

The above has been my experience, anyway.

C Ya

Mohawk

The nice thing about stepping up to 'newer' controls (this has been around for awhile now on many different controls and not just Mazak) is:

1) You no longer have to interrupt production to program a part... not even for G code. Conversational can be programmed in the background and so can G code while running the machine.
2) Getting your head around parts can even happen with CAD/CAM programming. I've set up many parts that were programmed 'weeks before'.
3) As for proving out, optimizing and correcting .... Several controls can now backplot programs and even have 3D model type verifiers, collision checks, import simple models, build a simple model on board, check for correct code, etc, etc.... and all can be done while the machine is running production.

Now for conversational programming (all types that I know of), your arm starts feeling pretty good again because you don't have to even nearly punch the amount of keys you might do with G code at the control. A lot of places programming at the machine will add in many generic cycles by macro calls to shorten up the programming process.... still doesn't beat the speed of conversational though.

Not pushing for conversational but only the fact that it all can be done in the background while the machine is running. I can't even remember the last time I saw a machine that didn't have a background editor....

I got to try my first Mazak a couple of years ago. At first, I hated it. Really hated it. Came from manual programming in G code before. But, over time, I became a fan. Faster programming and easier. Program in Mazatrol and get proficient. You'll end up liking it.
Not to say that manual programming doesn't have it's place. Some parts I still need to use it- like in bar pulling.
BTW- my current whine is I can't dwell at the inside corners when turning. Does anyone know how to do that in Mazatrol? Even if I have to dwell at all inside corners using TPC. Can't find it.

Back