What's new
What's new

17-4 ph 1100 speeds and feeds

Robby1

Plastic
I have a lathe job, 17-4 PH. 1 5/8 turned down to 5/8, 3" long. Anybody have recommendations for insert grade, speeds, feeds doc? I have made this part in the past using Sandvik 2025, 375 SFM, .011 feed, .1 doc. The problem is the insert life varies so much, may get 50 pcs per edge or 15. Any ideas?

Are you heat treating it first? What little I've worked with 17-4 I found it's easier to work with after I HT it. Hope this helps.

The 2025 grade should work more reliably than that. Exactly which insert are you using in this application? the chipbreaker form could have a lot to do with tool life, and 375 sfm is on the slow side. When you have insert life problems you should be looking at the failure mode. Is it chipping, having built-up edge, flank wear or?? You have to take the insert out after 10 pieces (long before failure) to see the probable mode of failure.

I've been using Valenite's new 9605 grade for 17-4 1100 at over 600sfm. In that application, I'd go with the M4 chipbreaker, available for CNMG and DNMG shapes. You depth of cut and feed rate is close, though I run in the .012 to .014 ipr range.

I am using an MF chipbreaker, WNMG 432. It appears to be flank wear. If I increase my SFM, my tool life really takes a crap. I'll give the Valenite grade a try. Kennametal gave me a couple inserts to try last year ( forget grade) we ran close to your speeds and feeds and it worked well. The next time job came up it was if we were using HSS. So I don't if the material will vary that much from one lot to another or what.

From the flyer I have for the 9605 grade, it seems they have 2 different chpbreakers available right now in the W shape. They have their M2 and the F5. Call your local Valenite distributor and they should be able to get you a free sample or two of each. From comparing the MF, it looks like the F5 is a near-perfect match so if the chip control is good that's the one to get.

The big difference shold be in flank wear. The second pair of digits in both grade designations (xx25 in the Sandvik, xx05 in the Valenite) denotes the hardness vs. toughness of the substrate carbide on a relative scale. The 25 is a tougher but softer grade than the very hard 05.

Back